Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Siggelkow, Bill" <bi...@Mirant.com> on 2001/12/19 17:02:50 UTC

Help with understanding validation and reset

Okay,
	I do not think I understand the contract of the ActionForm validate
method.  The problem I am having is that I appear to
lose some a data value when I return to an input page after I return
validation errors.  Specifically, I have a Date property called 'postDate'
... the value of this property is displayed on the page (but NOT in a
form-field).  The date displays the first time I enter the page (after my
action that populates the form) but this property is blank (null) when I
return to the form (set as the 'input' attribute in the struts-config) to
display validation  errors.

BTW, I have set the form in the request scope in the Action mapping ...
should I be using a different scope?

Do I need to represent this date property as a hidden field on my form?  I
think that is my problem.

Ahhh - I grok!  The action servlet creates a new form when I press Submit --
this form does not have the postDate property set.

Bill Siggelkow
eBusiness Lead Developer
678.579.6458
Mirant