Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Akil Ali <Ak...@cognizant.com> on 2009/02/14 12:28:33 UTC

Performance test conducted on Jackrabbit

Hi,
   I have performed several test on jackrabbit to check the read and write
operation on jackrabbit.

Scenario: I have to add thousands of documents (say MILLION) into the
jackrabbit. so for that purpose i have performed several test to check the
following.
1> How many documents application can add into the jackrabbit/Second.
2>How many documents application can read/Second.

Note: I am not using versioning and also i have disabled indexing of
jackrabbit

1> How many documents application can add into the jackrabbit/Second.

For that i have integrated threading while adding documents.
i have performed the test with a single thread and with multiple thread

Jackrabbit node structure looks like
Root Node that has 2 node A & B.

Single Thread:while adding 50000 documents i have performed 2 iteration. in
each iteration i have added 25000 documents to each node. in iteration 1 i
have added 25000 documents to node A and then in iteration 2 25000
documents.

2 Thread:
Thread1-->Session1-->Node A---->Adding 25000 documents
Thread2-->Session2-->NodeB--->Adding 25000 documents
i dont synchronized the code for adding documents in jackrabbit.

Please see the attachment excel with this mail to see the time taken to add
the article with single thread and with multiple thread. see sheet "Added"

You can see even if i have used threading the performance of Single thread
is better then multiple thread. WHY the performance of single thread is
better than multiple thread used?

2>How many documents application can read/Second.
Jackrabbit structure looks like

-Repository has 2 parent nodes A and B.
-Each parent node has 25000 docs.
Test is performed and 25000 nodes are read randomly.
a> By UUID and 2>By Direct access

Please see the attachment excel with this mail to see the time taken to read
the article By UUID and By Direct access. see sheet "Read Test"

There is only slightly difference between both the operation.
Can you please explain WHY?
http://www.nabble.com/file/p22011732/JCRTest.zip JCRTest.zip

Re: Performance test conducted on Jackrabbit

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

               I would be thankful to you if could more explain about
> caching.

I'm sorry there is not much to explain. You asked about what could be the
reason for the difference, and caching could be the reason.

> since i have seen the wiki part it more about configuration.

Sorry, which part?

> What are the good setting for the cache that helps us to increase the read
> count for the document per second.?

A bigger cache should be faster, however it uses more memory.

Regards,
Thomas

Re: Performance test conducted on Jackrabbit

Posted by Akil Ali <Ak...@cognizant.com>.
Hi Thomas,

                I would be thankful to you if could more explain about
caching. since i have seen the wiki part it more about configuration.
What are the good setting for the cache that helps us to increase the read
count for the document per second.?

If you could point to a good article other than WIKI that could help me for
the same would be thankful.

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Akil Ali <Ak...@cognizant.com>.

Is there any one who can help me to know the reason behind this time
difference.