Posted to users@maven.apache.org by thorsten maus <th...@pirack.com> on 2004/03/15 11:53:16 UTC

speed up build time

hi there ..

we are developing an application using the multiproject plugin ...

i would be interested in your ways to speed up the build process ...

1. is it possible to execute only parts of a multiproject
2. how do i tell maven not to compile all sources over and over again ???

--
Thorsten Maus ( IT Architect )
thorsten.maus@pirack.com

Re: speed up build time

Posted by Tim Chen <tc...@tampabay.rr.com>.
By definition multiprojects are made up of a group of subprojects.
You *should* be able to go into each subproject and run a maven build
from there as well.
The only caveat of this that I know of is that it will pick up
everything from the parent's project.xml and maven.xml (assuming you are
using extend) but will not pick up the parent's project.properties.
A work around of this is to define a target to build individual
subprojects in your parent's maven.xml

Here's an example of one that I use:

  <goal name="npp-ibuild"
      description="Run a given goal on specified project">

    <i:ask question="What module would you like to build?"
answer="npp.build.project" default="ear"/>
    <i:ask question="What type of module is this?"
answer="npp.build.type" default="ear"/>

    <maven:reactor
        banner="Executing build for ${npp.build.project}"
        includes="${npp.build.project}/project.xml"
        excludes="${maven.multiproject.excludes}"
        postProcessing="false"
        goals="${npp.build.type}:install"
        ignoreFailures="${maven.multiproject.ignoreFailures}"/>
  </goal>

of course you will have to edit it based on ur project structure.
i:ask is from jelly:interaction.

As for your second question.. maven's actual build process is really
just wrapped around ant. And ant by default will skip compilation of
classes that have not changed. The only exception to this that I know of
is when you use things like xdoclet that will regenerate the sources.

-Tim