Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/30 21:39:01 UTC

old business...old OpenOffice domain names registered by Oracle (primarily)

Looking at old threads, I'm a bit confused about the outcome of this one:

http://markmail.org/message/ldigtivvyy2su62u

Currently some of the ".com" domains don't even show up on the DNS radar,
and on the others remaining registered by Oracle. Was it the outcome of
this discussion to have Oracle transfer the registrations to the ASF?

I thought that was perhaps what we wanted to do, but ti doesn't seem to
have happened yet.

Andrew, can you shed some light? Thanks.

MzK

 dealt  with a cat."
                                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: old business...old OpenOffice domain names registered by Oracle (primarily)

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2012, at 1:05 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

>>> Unfortunately - that does seem to be the case.  I'm not sure if that is really a problem, though.
>>
>> I don't think it is.
>>

>>> A lot of these domains were acquired as a defensive measure, and I am not sure there is currently a substantial problem  with these 'similar domains'.
>>
>> Quite. I was working with the legal team at Sun and then Oracle on these and a) not many of them and b) the efforts were targeted and defensive and did not really map to any aggressive outreach strategy. Actually, to say a nice thing about a certain set of companies, the efforts really were directed to shelter the most active communities.
>
> I did a series of whois requests on these domains. They seems to be registered with Tucows on auto-renewal:
>
> eg:
> Domain ID:D159673109-LROR
> Domain Name:IT-OPENOFFICE.ORG
> Created On:16-Jul-2010 19:33:15 UTC
> Last Updated On:17-Jun-2012 06:09:50 UTC
> Expiration Date:16-Jul-2013 19:33:15 UTC
> Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
>

>>> Also, if a problem does arise, we have the trademark to protect the brand.
>>
>> Yes, but perhaps we can start a new thread  or threads that can finalize this issue and re-frame it not as a set of defensive tactics but as a strategy to promote AOO, and to use the domains as vehicles for that promotion….
>
> The thread name is correct. This is old business..
>
> Choice 1 - work to transfer domains to the ASF so that the AOO can "do something" with these domains.
>
> In order to take control of the DNS for each domain we need someone with Apache Infrastructure karma to work in concert with the proper person from Oracle in order to transfer all of these domain registrations.

Right. If they're on "auto-renewal", would this mean that Oracle got
billed and paid for them or ???

> Choice 2 - ignore these domains. Let Oracle know we don't care. They can make their own choice about renewing these domains or not.

I don't know when the renewal dates are but my DNS info indicates they
sill *belong* to Oracle, so my assumption is they've been renewed by
Oracle. So, maybe we're really at Choice 1. (at least many of the
*.org ones resolves, the *.com ones don't. I didn't check them all
however.)

If we do still want them, we need an Oracle contact.

Assuming we want to proceed with this, Andrew can you provide an
Oracle contact via  a JIRA ticket to INFRA, and we'll see where we get
with this.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 12-10-31, at 16:24 , Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> The thread name is correct. This is old business..

Yes and no. You seem to miss my point. I'll rephrase it.

Old business: cleaning up and clarifying the status of the domains associated with OpenOffice.[xy]

New business: reconsidering the purpose of these and other domains for marketing purposes, with the aim of promoting not just the application per se but more importantly, as I see it, the regional communities.

Louis

Re: old business...old OpenOffice domain names registered by Oracle (primarily)

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 31/12/2012 Andrew Rist wrote:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4906
> You'll notice the issue is from me. at the time I created the JIRA I had
> all of the domains released for transfer. I'm not sure if they are still
> in that state (probably not), but if someone wants to get this going
> again, I will make sure to cover whatever actions need to happen on the
> Oracle side.

Perfect, then it seems that root@apache.org is only waiting for an
e-mail from you to make it happen... hoping that domains can still be
transferred.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: old business...old OpenOffice domain names registered by Oracle (primarily)

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
On 12/30/2012 5:36 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 02/11/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Actually these domains are still there: I tested 5 random ones from
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4906 and as Dave wrote they
>> appear to have been (auto)renewed. They do not resolve, but WHOIS shows
>> that they still exist and still belong to Oracle.
>> Which means that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4906 can
>> progress normally with the transfer of ownership of those domains to the
>> ASF. I asked on the issue page details on the next steps.
>
> I've seen no developments on this old issue. This is something that
> the project can only marginally control, since it requires a handover
> of the domain names from Oracle to root@apache.org ; did the
> discussion between Oracle and root even start? Refer to the issue page
> (link above) for more information.
You'll notice the issue is from me.  at the time I created the JIRA I
had all of the domains released for transfer.  I'm not sure if they are
still in that state (probably not), but if someone wants to get this
going again, I will make sure to cover whatever actions need to happen
on the Oracle side.

A.

Re: Calc user guide Chapter 6 - German translation READY NOW

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

TJ Frazier schrieb:

[..]
> Hi, Regina,
>
> I have found a good place, by following the Deutsch link on the
> Documentation page. On the English version, the links are a couple of
> pages away, but the German page is mostly redlinks. An indented link
> under the Calc 3.2 redlink should work. I expect to use the name of the
> document (as attached by Heiko) as the link text; this is how the
> English chapters are listed.

Do you mean http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/DE/Documentation ?
That would be a suitable place for a link.

> Thank you for the reviewing. My German is totally inadequate for that.
> Do you have any suggestions for how Heiko should handle the next review
> cycle? Send straight to me (no review)? Send to you? Post it on the
> wiki, and ask the DE list for review? Generally speaking, docs like this
> shouldn't be sent to a mailing list.

If Heiko gets to like ODFAuthors, then he can put it into the Draft
folder in the section Apache OpenOffice.

Writing a mail to the DE list would be good in any case. But I have no
strong opinion where to put the document: external download space,
attach to a [DE] issue, or upload to the wiki.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Calc user guide Chapter 6 - German translation READY NOW

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
On 1/1/2013 16:20, Regina Henschel wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> As I had announced some months ago, I have translated several chapters
>> of the Calc 3.2 - user guide into German.
>> This chapter of the user guide is (to my knowledge) not yet translated
>> into German.
>>
>> PLEASE help me to get it published on the OOo-website - as it would
>> reward the work that went into it !!
>
> Yes, we should make your translation available. I think, that the Wiki,
> where the English versions are already available, will be a proper place.
>

>> I am working on several other chapters of the user guide which have so
>> far not yet been translated into German and I would like to receive help
>> these upcoming weeks / months to get them published on the OOo-website
>> etc etc , too.
>>
>> I am available in case further corrections etc etc are necessary.
>
> The document uses the wrong template. That has the effect, that it has
> the wrong language and wrong font size. The correct template is in
> http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/deutsch/Vorlagen/vorlage-fuer-uebersetzer-und-korrekturleser/view
>

> How to handle copyright and license is described in the mentioned template.
>
> We should avoid the impression that this translation is authorized by
> ODFAuthors (former OOoAuthors). If such authorization is wished-for, the
> document would have to go through their revision cycles. Therefore I
> think, that at least the OOoAuthors logo and text in the footer on page
> 2 has to be removed.
>
> The document would need a proof reading to look for typos and wrong
> links. But because it is for the outdated OOo3.2, I think we can take it
> as it is. For AOO4.x the printing part has to be rewritten, because the
> printer dialog has changed after OOo3.2.
>
> Currently the Wiki does not react, so I cannot look for a proper place.
> But I know, there exists a page for the English version. If no
> DE-section exists, I suggest to add a line to that page, saying
> "Translations" and in next line "Heiko Strauss hat diese Anleitung nach
> Deutsch übersetzt." with "Deutsch" as direct link to the document.
> Perhaps add the full German title. This way it can be found by search in
> Internet and by search inside the Wiki.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

Hi, Regina,

I have found a good place, by following the Deutsch link on the
Documentation page. On the English version, the links are a couple of
pages away, but the German page is mostly redlinks. An indented link
under the Calc 3.2 redlink should work. I expect to use the name of the
document (as attached by Heiko) as the link text; this is how the
English chapters are listed.

Thank you for the reviewing. My German is totally inadequate for that.
Do you have any suggestions for how Heiko should handle the next review
cycle? Send straight to me (no review)? Send to you? Post it on the
wiki, and ask the DE list for review? Generally speaking, docs like this

/tj/

Re: Calc user guide Chapter 6 - German translation READY NOW

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Heiko,

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
TJ Frazier wrote:
> On 1/1/2013 10:11, Raphael Bircher wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> It would be interesting to write this also to the German Mailing List
>> users-de@openoffice.apache.org Nice to see more german Native language
>> speachers.
>>
>> Greetings Raphael
>>
>> Am 01.01.2013 13:54, schrieb 口 海:
>>> Hi Andrea and OOo-Team,
>>>
>>> happy New Year for the OOo - Project and best wishes !
>>>
>>> As I had announced some months ago, I have translated several chapters
>>> of the Calc 3.2 - user guide into German.
>>> This chapter of the user guide is (to my knowledge) not yet translated
>>> into German.
>>>
>>> PLEASE help me to get it published on the OOo-website - as it would
>>> reward the work that went into it !!
>>>
>>> I am working on several other chapters of the user guide which have so
>>> far not yet been translated into German and I would like to receive
>>> help these upcoming weeks / months to get them published on the
>>> OOo-website etc etc , too.
>>>
>>> I am available in case further corrections etc etc are necessary.
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>>

>>> Heiko Strauss
>>>
> Hi, Heiko, Raphael,
>
> Can we get some feedback from German-speakers that this is a
> good-quality translation?
>
> The mechanics of publication are simple: upload to a file (use the same
> name as the document), and add a link on the DE version of the wiki
> Documentation page. I am prepared to do these steps, if nobody objects.
>
> AOO policy is that new material shall be under ALv2, but this
> translation is presumably under some CC license. It seems reasonable to
> me to make an exception for new material about old software.
>
> I will wait at least 72 hours for feedback on either or both points.
>
> /tj/

TJ;

I just took a look at the original 3.2 manuals on the wiki and they are
all dual licensed either  GPL v3 or CC-BY v3. My understanding is that
since the translation is a derivative work it would need to have the
same license.

Keith

Re: Calc user guide Chapter 6 - German translation READY NOW

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Hi

Posted by 口 海 <cu...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Andrea and OOo-Team,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 11/02/2012 10:34 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 31/10/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> In order to take control of the DNS for each domain we need someone
>>> with Apache Infrastructure karma to work in concert with the proper
>>> person from Oracle in order to transfer all of these domain
>>> registrations.
>> This is exactly what we did, right?  But the JIRA issue did not
>> progress.  Our fault for not noting that there was a clock ticking
>
> Actually these domains are still there: I tested 5 random ones from
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4906 and as Dave write they
> appear to have been (auto)renewed. They do not resolve, but WHOIS shows
> that they still exist and still belong to Oracle.
>
> Which means that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4906 can
> progress normally with the transfer of ownership of those domains to the
> ASF. I asked on the issue page details on the next steps.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Andrea, thank you. I did not realize a jira ticket had actually been
created on this way back in June. So, my apologies especially to Andrew
Rist on this. :/

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2012, at 1:05 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

>>> Unfortunately - that does seem to be the case.  I'm not sure if that is really a problem, though.
>>
>> I don't think it is.
>>

>>> A lot of these domains were acquired as a defensive measure, and I am not sure there is currently a substantial problem  with these 'similar domains'.
>>
>> Quite. I was working with the legal team at Sun and then Oracle on these and a) not many of them and b) the efforts were targeted and defensive and did not really map to any aggressive outreach strategy. Actually, to say a nice thing about a certain set of companies, the efforts really were directed to shelter the most active communities.
>
> I did a series of whois requests on these domains. They seems to be registered with Tucows on auto-renewal:
>
> eg:
> Domain ID:D159673109-LROR
> Domain Name:IT-OPENOFFICE.ORG
> Created On:16-Jul-2010 19:33:15 UTC
> Last Updated On:17-Jun-2012 06:09:50 UTC
> Expiration Date:16-Jul-2013 19:33:15 UTC
> Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
>

>>> Also, if a problem does arise, we have the trademark to protect the brand.
>>
>> Yes, but perhaps we can start a new thread  or threads that can finalize this issue and re-frame it not as a set of defensive tactics but as a strategy to promote AOO, and to use the domains as vehicles for that promotion….
>
> The thread name is correct. This is old business..
>
> Choice 1 - work to transfer domains to the ASF so that the AOO can "do something" with these domains.
>
> In order to take control of the DNS for each domain we need someone with Apache Infrastructure karma to work in concert with the proper person from Oracle in order to transfer all of these domain registrations.

This is exactly what we did, right?  But the JIRA issue did not
progress.  Our fault for not noting that there was a clock ticking on
these domain names and raising the priority of this with Infra.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 12-10-31, at 14:17 , Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/2012 8:54 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4906
>>>
>>> I guess it's not been on the top of any of our lists.  The domains were
>>> opened up for transfer on the Oracle side (not sure if that times out).
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>
>> Thanks for the update. I'm not sure what this means though. :/
>>
>> Oracle didn't renew them and now these domains are up for grabs?
> Unfortunately - that does seem to be the case.  I'm not sure if that is really a problem, though.

I don't think it is.

> A lot of these domains were acquired as a defensive measure, and I am not sure there is currently a substantial problem  with these 'similar domains'.

Quite. I was working with the legal team at Sun and then Oracle on these and a) not many of them and b) the efforts were targeted and defensive and did not really map to any aggressive outreach strategy. Actually, to say a nice thing about a certain set of companies, the efforts really were directed to shelter the most active communities.

> Also, if a problem does arise, we have the trademark to protect the brand.

Yes, but perhaps we can start a new thread  or threads that can finalize this issue and re-frame it not as a set of defensive tactics but as a strategy to promote AOO, and to use the domains as vehicles for that promotion….

> Andrew

-louis

Re: old business...old OpenOffice domain names registered by Oracle (primarily)

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.