Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/20 19:55:17 UTC

Geronimo directory structure & permissions

Hi,

In Geronimo binary install which directories do we consider read-only
vs. write/read? The idea is that the read-only directories could be
shared among multiple installations to save some space and reduce
maintenance.

Here's what I identified so far:

read-only:
 - bin
 - jsr88
 - schema
 - lib

read/write:
 - deploy
 - hotbundles
 - etc
 - var

The repository/ directory is a little weird because parts of it could
be considered read-only and some write. I wonder if maybe we should
have separate repository directories one for Geronimo bundles and
another one for applications.

Thanks,
Jarek

Re: Geronimo directory structure & permissions

Posted by Russell E Glaue <rg...@cait.org>.
Jarek,
I appreciate this discussion was started.
I am working through multiple-instance support for Geronimo, and it seems the
code is not consistent in using org.apache.geronimo.home.dir (geronimoHome) vs
org.apache.geronio.server.dir (geronimoBase).

The correct use of the two is hinted at in these two source files:
1.
trunk/framework/modules/geronimo-main/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/main/Utils.java
 - getGeronimoHome()
 - getGeronimoBase()
2.
trunk/framework/configs/karaf-framework/src/main/distribution/text/etc/system.properties
 - in regards to the intended purposes of karaf.home vs karaf.base (read the
comments)
 - use of org.apache.geronimo.home.dir vs org.apache.geronimo.server.dir is similar.
 - org.apache.geronimo.server.dir is same as the now dead
org.apache.geronimo.base.dir (a.k.a GERONIMO_BASE which I probably helped kill 3
years ago) which was not always being used correctly.

If the directories are read-only, they should be referenced from the system
property org.apache.geronimo.home.dir
  - bin
  - jsr88
  - schema
  - lib

If the directories are read-write, they should be referenced from the system
property org.apache.geronimo.server.dir (a.k.a. geronimoBase)
See:
trunk/framework/modules/geronimo-main/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/main/Utils.java
  - deploy
  - hotbundles
  - etc
  - var

As you hinted, the repository/ directory could go in either right now. But
because G3 cannot share repositories, it needs to be referenced under
org.apache.geronimo.server.dir . But Geronimo does not currently allow for that:
GERONIMO-6175 .

I have been combing through the code, and the use of either is not entirely
consistent. And in several locations geronimo code is redundantly trying to
figure out the server base, otherwise the code just prepends the
org.apache.geronimo.home.dir system property to whatever it is looking for
(which is not always correct).

With the addition of karaf in G3.0, and its similar needed config, it might
appear there could be some confusion in the code as to what should be under
karaf.home vs karaf.base system properties.

If we want to share multiple instances of Geronimo (and I do) this needs to be
straightened out. I'd like to see something like getGeronimoHome() and
getGeronimoBase() from the package org.apache.geronimo.main.Utils used in every
instance the server base needs to be known.

And we should make a formal decision as to what directories should be available
under `base` vs `home`.

-RG

Posted by Russell E Glaue <rg...@cait.org>.
Jarek,

I have been unable to locate a thread which we discussed about sharing
repositories. IIRC, there are (or were at some time) some components that wrote
back to the repository - and I am not thinking they are the applications.

Geronimo at one time was able to share repositories, probably in G2.1, but
currently I believe the only way to have more than one Geronimo instances that
do not collide with each other is for them to each have their own copy of a
repository.

With Rex's revision 1174575 (see GERONIMO-5987), I am able to startup multiple
instances of the trunk 3.0 tomcat7 javaee6 bundle starting with the snapshot
released today (it did not work for G3.0 trunk builds until today).

Otherwise, what you have listed for read-only vs. read-write is correct, but
with the addition of "repositories" as read-write. I have updated the related
wiki page to reflect this identification.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC30/Running+multiple+Geronimo+instances

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
The lib directory might also need read/write, as it contains the endorsed
folder, for the bin directory, there might also be changes, as there is a
setjavaenv script files which are used to add system properties by end
users.
Not sure I understand correctly, do you mean to grant read-only permission
to those folders ?

--
Ivan

Re: Geronimo directory structure & permissions

Posted by Russell E Glaue <rg...@cait.org>.
With Rex's latest commit for GERONIMO-5987, and testing with
geronimo-tomcat7-javaee6-3.0-20110923.091022-350-bin, I am able to run multiple
instances of the Geronino javaee6 bundle now.

To make it work, you have to follow my specific startup procedure I gave in
GERONIMO-5987 which refers to an example I put into the Wiki page
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC30/Running+multiple+Geronimo+instances
.

We're still having a minor issue with conflicting ActiveMQ lock files (actually
the ActiveMQ working directory) if you do not startup the Geronimo instances in
a particular way.

Jeff and Forrest
I am able to start up multiple instances of the javaee6 bundle now, but I have
not tested extended operation of them. Do you two know of any other issues
preventing a successful operation of multiple instances within a single runtime
OS as I outlined in the Wiki page example I referenced above?

-RG

Posted by Russell E Glaue <rg...@cait.org>.

Posted by Russell E Glaue <rg...@cait.org>.
When there are multiple instances, they do not share repositories. Each instance
must have its own copy of the repository.

That Wiki page is actually still relevant and correct. There is a note on that
page that multiple instances for the javaee6 bundle is currently not working.
That note need only be updated to document the additional JIRA issues that
prevent it.

However, the Geronimo minimal bundle does not package the extra javaee6 stuff
that prohibited multiple instances from working.
And just to make sure, I just successfully tested multiple instances with the
latest minimal SNAPSHOT, geronimo-tomcat7-minimal-3.0-20110922.084001-349. Seems
to work... for me.

If everyone can give me the JIRA numbers of the issues preventing multiple
instances with the javaee6 bundle, I'll add them to that related note on the
Wiki page.

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Russell E Glaue <rg...@cait.org>.

Posted by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com>.

--
Lei Wang (Rex)
rwonly AT apache.org

Re: Geronimo directory structure & permissions

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.