Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Michelle Caisse <Mi...@Sun.COM> on 2006/04/03 23:45:30 UTC

Re: [web] Derby site reorganization

Hi Jean,

I just noticed that Quick Start is both a tab and an entry on the Home
tab.  I do find this quite disconcerting.  I think that consistency in
how the navigational features work is important for ease of use.  Having
an entry jump to a new tab violates consistency.

Other oddities:
 From the Download tab, click License.  Now you're on the Home tab.
 From the Download tab, click 10.1.2.1.  The navbar collapses, rather
than highlighting 10.1.2.1.
 From the Community tab, click FAQs.  Now you're on the Home tab again.

I think it would be helpful to have consistency in how heading levels on
the navbar correspond to pages in the text area.  For example, each
major heading level is its own page and each subhead is a jump on the
text page.  Or, each heading, major or minor, is a new page and jumps
within a page are not shown on the navbar (not needed since they appear
in the TOC at the top of the page).

Finally, I think it would help the overall design to have off-site links
such as the Quick Links to open a new window.

BTW, I really like the new colors.

-- Michelle

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Thanks for this excellent feedback, Michelle. Sorry for the delay --
I've been out of town. I'll look at this tomorrow along with Dan
Debrunner feedback I didn't have time to close the loop on before
leaving town.

thanks,

 -jean