Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/30 23:56:52 UTC

Wookie in the W3C Social Web report

Just a heads up for anyone who is interested - Wookie gets a mention in the draft final report from the W3C Social Web Incubator Group (XG):

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/XGR-socialweb/

"There is a rather unfortunate mismatch between OpenSocial Gadgets and W3C Widgets from the Web Applications WG [WIDGETS], given that both are primarily based on top of HTML and Javascript. Currently there is work being undertaken by the Apache Wookie project to provide interoperability between W3C Widgets and OpenSocial Gadgets, although ideally in the future the W3C Widgets would either be adopted or work more closely with major vendors in the iteration [WOOKIE]. Also, W3C Working Groups like the DAP (Device Access Policy) Working Group are also producing APIs that involve contact information and so should ideally maintain some baseline compatibility with OpenSocial and PortableContacts."

(This partly follows from a phone interview on social widgets hosted by the XG involving myself and Marcos Caceres from Opera)

The report is due to be formally published on Thursday.

Re: Wookie in the W3C Social Web report

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 30 Nov 2010, at 23:05, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 30/11/2010 22:56, Scott Wilson wrote:
>> Just a heads up for anyone who is interested - Wookie gets a mention in
>> the draft final report from the W3C Social Web Incubator Group (XG):
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/XGR-socialweb/
>
> Great stuff.
>
>> "There is a rather unfortunate mismatch between OpenSocial Gadgets and
>> W3C Widgets from the Web Applications WG [WIDGETS]
>> <http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/XGR-socialweb/#ref-widgets>,
>> given that both are primarily based on top of HTML and Javascript.
>> Currently there is work being undertaken by the Apache Wookie project to
>> provide interoperability between W3C Widgets and OpenSocial Gadgets,
>> although ideally in the future the W3C Widgets would either be adopted
>> or work more closely with major vendors in the iteration [WOOKIE]
>> <http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/XGR-socialweb/#ref-wookie>.
>
> I'm not parsing the "ideally" part of this sentence. What is the ideal the W3C want?

No, the last bit doesn't make sense. I'll let the editor know.

>> Also, W3C Working Groups like the DAP (Device Access Policy) Working
>> Group are also producing APIs that involve contact information and so
>> should ideally maintain some baseline compatibility with OpenSocial and
>> PortableContacts."
>
> Does that mean DAP could theoretically provide access to single users social graph based on someones phonebook?

Yes. It has been suggested that some APIs from OpenSocial and Wave should be submitted to DAP and/or merged with DAP APIs.

We did also at one point propose to W3C a "collaboration" API based on the first Wookie shared data API (which we later overlaid with the Wave Gadget API). If Wave enters the incubator this might be worth reviving.

>> The report is due to be formally published on Thursday.
>
> Any chance they can make it "Apache Wookie (Incubating)" to avoid any embarrassment?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.