Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID> on 2018/06/21 10:42:46 UTC

How to import 2nd donation in the Git repository?

Hello,

The 2nd donation is arriving and I wonder how to best import it.

I think it should be a separate branch which we merge into master.

*But* how to we preserve the full history?

The end of the README here https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/master/README.md mentions how to do a 'git replace' to 'stitch' back the history.

I suspect that the 2nd donation should be a new branch with not parents. Then we merge it into master.

Thus, we can do 'git replace' on the 2nd donation branch too.

What do you think?

--emi

Re: How to import 2nd donation in the Git repository?

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well, you might just use the same git repository but into an orphan
branch, or just branch out master and do the import there and the ugly
butchering stuff there.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
I don't think we should do any work on the donation2 branch.

It's there just to signify the diverging / merging code and for historical reference.

I would do the IP clearance on the new modules normally, in the master/ branch, after the merge.

--emi

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 21.06.2018, 16:00 -0400 schrieb Emilian Bold:
> No, no, no, I want to keep the existing repository.
>
> Actually I just looked and there's 'git checkout --orphan' to create
> a branch without a parent.
>
> So, we create an orphan branch, add the 2nd donation, then merge this
> branch to master/. Makes sense?

I know, that I'm late to the game, but what is reason, not to do this:

- branch out "second_donation_integration"
- import the ZIP (I'll assume, it mostly will contain full modules)
- do the cleanup work (and only that) in that donation branch
- test, that this "hybrid" builds
- some more motivated folks could locally merge master into that
  branch an see if it still works

And when done, merge the cleaned-up, relicensed branch into master, at
which point we'll release netbeans 9.X or netbeans 10.

We then have a clear workspace for the licensing, cleanup, make it
build work and have the track record how it happened. And a clear point
 (the merge point) where "we" decided, that the right thinks were done.

Before quick hand-work starts, Geertjan has a point, that automatic
mechanisms should come first. We don't gain anything if work, that
automatic license replacement does, is done by humans.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: How to import 2nd donation in the Git repository?

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Mmm... we'll reach 783 directories, so no prize! :-)

I think we'll be able to handle that. "git status" will take longer,
though...

Un abrazo,
Antonio

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.