Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> on 2006/01/24 16:48:40 UTC

Nightly builds broken

Hi,
A user pointed out to me that our nightly builds appear to be broken.
First I assumed it was due Gump unhappiness and I thought Mark T and
Bill B fixed it over the past few days.  But last night's builds still
look whacky: http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-5/nightly/.
The binaries are 45 bytes in size and invalid, the sources are about
200MB in size (Tomcat 5.5.15 correct source distros are a little less
than 6MB).

Also as an aside, all the Gump files still call it jakarta-tomcat-*
rather than apache-tomcat-* or just tomcat-*.  I'm not a Gump expert,
but I believe the Gump project file we want to update is (at least)
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/jakarta-tomcat-catalina.xml.

Thoughts?

--
Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow

Re: Nightly builds broken

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Mmm, I'm neutral on nightly builds.  They can lead to more trouble
than it's worth:

- Users using a nightly build of unknown stability instead of an
actual release, then asking for support
- Extra load on infrastructure
- Extra load on Gump people to keep the relevant scripts and Gumpy
files up to date

And for what?  This user was the first request I've seen in a long
long time for nightly builds, and he didn't even want the whole build,
just the jsp examples webapp containing the XSS fix.  So I don't think
they're used that much, don't think they add much value.  Anyone doing
testing, be it individuals or organizations like JBoss, Covalent,
Spikesource, whatever, isn't going to test, much less ship, off a
nightly build.  And if someone really wants a build at any time, it's
easy (and documented) to build individually on the client side using
our existing build file and its download target.

Actually, maybe I'm closer to -1 than 0 on nightly builds ;)

Yoav

Re: Nightly builds broken

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
+1

Re: Nightly builds broken

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.
Hi Yoav,

RE: Nightly builds broken

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Actually, Gump runs (or at least the one that nags) on vmgump.apache.org
(http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/index.html).  Also, Gump hasn't
published the jars it builds for quite some time (to avoid licensing
issues).

Also Gump builds aren't true nightlies, since they build everything against
the HEAD of everything else, not against the version specified in
build.properties.default.

> Also as an aside, all the Gump files still call it jakarta-tomcat-*
> rather than apache-tomcat-* or just tomcat-*.  I'm not a Gump expert,
> but I believe the Gump project file we want to update is (at least)
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/jakarta-
> tomcat-catalina.xml.

Actually the closest to a nightly would be jakarta-tomcat-5.xml, but that
one hasn't built in about 6 months (currently because of axis, before that
xdoclet).  The jakarta-tomcat-catalina one is only the 5.5 container part of
the build.

I was too lazy to change the gump project names on the svn move :).  There
are about seven jakarta-tomcat*.xml project files, and three
jakarta-servlet-api*.xml files that would need to be moved.  You'd also need
to change the reference to the files in profile/gump.xml, and track down all
of the other projects that depend on them (e.g. 67 for jakarta-servletapi-4)
and change it there as well.

All ASF committers have karma for the Gump metadata, so if anybody feels
strongly about the names, knock yourself out :).

> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Yoav Shapira
> System Design and Management Fellow
> MIT Sloan School of Management
> Cambridge, MA, USA
> yoavs@computer.org / www.yoavshapira.com

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.