Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Peter Nabbefeld <Pe...@gmx.de> on 2004/06/30 10:27:11 UTC

Why does maven load the plugin twice?

Hi,

I've got the following output from building a project (not mine) with maven:

__  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0-rc3

Plugin cache will be regenerated
Attempting to download commons-jelly-tags-xml-SNAPSHOT.jar.
Attempting to download maven-findbugs-plugin-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar.
Attempting to download commons-jelly-tags-xml-SNAPSHOT.jar.

While it is clear, there are duplicates in dependencies, IMHO maven
should remember the download and not try again.

Kind regards

Peter Nabbefeld

Re: Why does maven load the plugin twice?

Posted by "Henry S. Isidro" <hi...@exist.com>.
Peter Nabbefeld wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got the following output from building a project (not mine) with
> maven:
>
> __  __
> |  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
> | |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
> |_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0-rc3
>
> Plugin cache will be regenerated
> Attempting to download commons-jelly-tags-xml-SNAPSHOT.jar.
> Attempting to download maven-findbugs-plugin-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar.
> Attempting to download commons-jelly-tags-xml-SNAPSHOT.jar.
>

> While it is clear, there are duplicates in dependencies, IMHO maven
> should remember the download and not try again.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Peter Nabbefeld

most probably there are inherited dependencies...and since that jar is a
snapshot, maven attempts to download it always

--
Henry S. Isidro
Software Engineer

Re: Why does maven load the plugin twice?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it should. There is a todo in the code for that, but under the
current method it's a bit tricky other than to just make it static -
but that breaks things like maven console when building snapshots
outside of the app.

Don't worry - it only downloads if it is missing or changed and the
HTTP request to detect a change is very cheap.