Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by Jim Gallacher <jg...@sympatico.ca> on 2005/08/10 15:04:04 UTC

mod_python package maintainers - are you out there?

Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
> Another remark : has anyone suscribed to redhat, debian etc. mailing
> list to watch for such patches ?

Not me.

> I don't understand why those guys
> aren't posting their patches on the mod_python mailing list.

I was wondering the same thing. What would be better for us, subscribing
to a bunch of mailing lists or contacting the maintainers directly and
telling them we are interested in having them forward their bug reports
and patches (and then hoping they do)? Having some contact with them
directly is probably a good idea anyway. Subscribing to a bunch of
mailing lists could result in a lot of uninteresting mail. ;)

But first let's have a show of hands. How many people monitoring either
of the mod_python or python-dev mailing lists are package maintainers
for a distribution?

Regards,
Jim

Re: mod_python package maintainers - are you out there?

Posted by Jorey Bump <li...@joreybump.com>.
Juha-Matti Tapio wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:04:04AM -0400, Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>>Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
>>
>>Having some contact with them directly is probably a good idea anyway.
>>Subscribing to a bunch of mailing lists could result in a lot of
>>uninteresting mail. ;)
>
> I think it would be unfair to expect that upstream developers track all the
> major distributions.

But it's easy enough to download their source packages and inspect them
for interesting patches every once in a while. I think package
maintainers will respond favorably if their work was acknowledged. Maybe
they tried to submit a bug in the past, but couldn't, for some reason.

Re: mod_python package maintainers - are you out there?

Posted by Juha-Matti Tapio <jm...@verkkotelakka.net>.
On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:04:04AM -0400, Jim Gallacher wrote:
> Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
> >I don't understand why those guys
> >aren't posting their patches on the mod_python mailing list.
> I was wondering the same thing. What would be better for us, subscribing
> to a bunch of mailing lists or contacting the maintainers directly and
> telling them we are interested in having them forward their bug reports
> and patches (and then hoping they do)?

With Debian it is generally understood that the Debian users should report
bugs to the Debian Bug Tracking System and the package maintainer forwards
them to the upstream if the issue is not Debian-specific. Since the
mentioned bug is 162 days old in Debian, I should have monitored the bug and
as an original submitter I should have taken the issue upstream myself
bypassing the package maintainer.

Propably the most common reasons why this communication does not happen is
that people forget or do not have time (and plan to do it later).

> Having some contact with them directly is probably a good idea anyway.
> Subscribing to a bunch of mailing lists could result in a lot of
> uninteresting mail. ;)

I think it would be unfair to expect that upstream developers track all the
major distributions.

> But first let's have a show of hands. How many people monitoring either
> of the mod_python or python-dev mailing lists are package maintainers
> for a distribution?

I do monitor and I do know Debian packaging but I am not an official
developer nor do I maintain official Debian packages.