Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by lm...@ca.ibm.com on 2001/03/28 00:16:50 UTC

proposal for xerces 1.4 release

Here is where we're at with volunteers for the next release.
I've separated the items into 2 lists, with original numbering.
As you can see, we still need volunteers for a few of the line items...

Thx,
Lisa.
(I haven't looked at prioritizing defects yet - if anyone else wants to
give that a shot, I wouldn't object :-)
And, if I've missed anything in the list below, let me know)

Schema line items with volunteers:
----------------------------------

1. Block and final (Neil Graham)

2. Support of default and fixed attributes for elements (Neil Graham)

3. date/time (Elena Litani)

5. General constraint checking infrastructure (for checking common to
6,7,8) (Neil Graham)

6. Constraint checking:  elements, attributes, attribute groups, wildcards
(Neil Graham)

7. Constraint checking:  complexType, model groups, particles (Lisa Martin)

8. Constraint checking:  simpleType (Elena Litani)

9. Error checking for xsi:type (Neil Graham)

11. Nillable (Elena Litani)

14.  PR changes for Datatypes - misc. cleanup  (e.g. renaming of
uriReference->anyURI, CDATA->normalizedString, change to lexical space of
boolean, + several other changes to be enumerated)
(Sandy Gao, Elena Litani)

Unassigned Schema line items:
----------------------------------

4. Identity constraints - finish support and modify according to PR
definition of XPath subset

10. Re-implementation of "all" to avoid scaling problems

12. Remove limitations on usage of xsi:schemaLocation, etc.

13.  PR change:   Structures K.6 - changes to attribute declarations and
the specification of default/fixed, etc.

Re: proposal for xerces 1.4 release

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
As of today, here's all the bugs in bugzilla sorted by Severity

      579  Cri   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Bug in JAXP
      633  Cri   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   SAX 2.0 DTD Parsing
report incorrect content models
      673  Cri   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Memory leak in
validating parser causes out of memory error
      623  Maj   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Infinite Loop in
org/apache/xerces/utils/URI.java V1.3.0
      881  Maj   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Parameter Entity
string orphaned - later reference unabe to
      897  Maj   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Memory leak reading
large XML-files with SAX parser
      549  Nor   All  xerces-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   NullPointerException
when resolving external entities
      558  Nor   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   line breaks within
comments are discarded
      709  Nor   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Cannot parse XML of
exactly 16Kb in size (perhaps multiples
      715  Nor   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   encoding 8859_1
rejected even with allow-java-encodings
      720  Nor   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Schema constraint
voilation not reported by the parser
      730  Nor   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW
NullPointerExceptions and ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsExceptions us
      820  Nor   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   HTMLSerializer does
not check for XHTML serialization when w
      832  Nor   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Unchecked
ClassCastException in org.apache.xerces.parsers.DO
      972  Nor   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Element declaration
with one child not created
      1041  Nor   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Reading large (>4k)
files with StreamingCharReader throws Ar
      1042  Nor   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW
DefaultReaderFactory.createReader does not honor EntityResol
      1061  Nor   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   XMLAttributeImpl
patch
      1064  Nor   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   sax parser stores
the whole xml file in a variable
      1078  Nor   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   The default
SAXParser is not namespace aware
      1148  Nor   PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   resources are not
included in final jar
      1013  Min   All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   not really a bug,
but unexpected, undocumented beaviour !
      696  Maj  Hig  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Xerces & Xalan
Zip file problem.
      759  Maj  Hig  All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   does not
transform ' and " into &apos; and &quot; when writi
      548  Nor  Hig  PC  xerces-dev@xml.apache.org  ASSI   DOMParser
namespaces feature defaults to true
      629  Nor  Hig  All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Schema
validator doesn't correctly handle mixed content with
      729  Nor  Hig  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Problem running
SOAP with Tomcat with Xerces
      1010  Nor  Hig  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW
getElementByID() fails when using custom document factory su
      1070  Nor  Hig  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   SAX parser not
working on UTF-16 coding.
      943  Enh  Hig  All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Support for
string-interning feature needed
      1097  Maj  Med  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   #included XML
Schema not found if Schemas & XML instance are
      1128  Maj  Med  HP  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Nullpointer in
BaseMarkupSerializer
      597  Nor  Med  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   _preroot Vector
is not serialized when calling serialize(Ele
      641  Nor  Med  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   occasional NPE
from Xerces 1.3.0
      719  Nor  Med  PC  lmartin@ca.ibm.com  NEW   incorrect validation of
content model when mixed="true"
      726  Nor  Med  All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   windows
charsets support
      752  Nor  Med  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  REOP
DOMImplementationImpl fails to create DocumentType with null
      822  Nor  Med  All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   xsi:type
ignored for wildcard element in instance
      995  Nor  Med  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Errors not
reported by the parser for an invalid pattern mat
      1023  Nor  Med  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   min/max
Inclusive/Exclusive out of bound errors not reported
      1052  Nor  Med  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   The parser does
not raise an error for an invalid enumeratio
      1143  Nor  Med  PC  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Setting
SAXParser/DOMBuilder features via JAXP
      944  Enh  Med  All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Support for
external-parameter-entities feature needed
      593  Enh  Low  All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   Avoid using
static refrences in SAX Parser. Garbage collecti
      596  Nor  Oth  All  xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org  NEW   serializer
doesn't create namespace proper namespace declara

I'm pretty sure that the serverities are not set right here, and that the
priorities are meaningless since we
haven't assigned any yet.

So I guess my question is: how do we want to go about prioritizing these?
Again, I think that there some
opportunities here for people who want get into the code to help out.

Ted

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Lisa,

Could you give brief time/difficulty estimates for 4, 10 and 12?

Thanks,

Ted