Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2009/01/13 19:15:13 UTC

Some FOP font warnings...

I am getting this when using a Dingbats font and rendering to PDF:

WARNING: Substituted specified hyphenation character (0x2d) with 0x20 because
the font doesn't have the specifiedhyphenation character: Dingbats,normal,400

Kind of weird, since the line is very short and hyphenation seems neither
necessary, nor is it configured. What does this warning mean? The generated
PDF looks fine, though.

If I render the same FO to PS, then I do not get this warning, but instead
two others:

WARNING: Font 'NimbusSansCondensed,normal,400' not found. Substituting with
'any,normal,400'.
WARNING: Font 'Dingbats,normal,400' not found. Substituting with
'any,normal,400'.

The dingbats character (0x274F - a checkbox icon) is actually missing in the
PS and the Nimbus Sans Condensed font is replaced by Times.

If anyone wants to look, I can send a Zip, which contains the FO file, my
fop.xconf and the fonts used (they're from the Ghostscript distribution, so I
think it's ok to send them around).

Ulrich

Re: Some FOP font warnings...

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 14.01.2009 09:57:08 Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >
> > The TextLayoutManager currently always retrieves the width of the hyphen
> > (and space) glyph instead of doing lazy initialization. Patches to
> > improve things like that are welcome.
>
> Ok thanks, will try to contribute, once I get my head around this stuff :)
>
> > Looks like those two fonts were not registered for the PostScript
> > renderer. Note that font configuration is still separate per renderer.
>
> Oops, right... thanks! What about the plain text renderer? I guess it
> shouldn't complain about missing fonts...

Well, it actually might. This all comes from the layout engine. The
plain text renderer just interprets the area tree that the layout engine
produces. The layout engine still needs a set of fonts to work off and
doesn't do anything different when the plain text renderer is active.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Some FOP font warnings...

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: Some FOP font warnings...

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 13.01.2009 19:15:13 Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> I am getting this when using a Dingbats font and rendering to PDF:
>
> WARNING: Substituted specified hyphenation character (0x2d) with 0x20 because
> the font doesn't have the specifiedhyphenation character: Dingbats,normal,400
>
> Kind of weird, since the line is very short and hyphenation seems neither
> necessary, nor is it configured. What does this warning mean? The generated
> PDF looks fine, though.

The TextLayoutManager currently always retrieves the width of the hyphen
(and space) glyph instead of doing lazy initialization. Patches to
improve things like that are welcome.

> If I render the same FO to PS, then I do not get this warning, but instead
> two others:
>
> WARNING: Font 'NimbusSansCondensed,normal,400' not found. Substituting with
> 'any,normal,400'.
> WARNING: Font 'Dingbats,normal,400' not found. Substituting with
> 'any,normal,400'.

Looks like those two fonts were not registered for the PostScript
renderer. Note that font configuration is still separate per renderer.

> The dingbats character (0x274F - a checkbox icon) is actually missing in the
> PS and the Nimbus Sans Condensed font is replaced by Times.
>
> If anyone wants to look, I can send a Zip, which contains the FO file, my
> fop.xconf and the fonts used (they're from the Ghostscript distribution, so I
> think it's ok to send them around).

Not necessary. It's obvious what's going on.

Jeremias Maerki