Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/09 23:40:48 UTC

[DRLVM/MMTk] update -- now able to run the object allocator of MMTk configuration known as "NoGC"

All,

Changes were committed to drlvm/trunk/vm/MMTk that allow MMTk
configuration known as NoGC to partially run in a mode somewhat
analogous to "user mode Linux".  The NoGC configuration allows
legitimate Java objects to be created but provides zero collection
capability.  The part that now runs is NoGC.alloc().  The next step is
to get NoGC.postAlloc() to work.  postAlloc() actually fixes up the
object's header.

Once NoGC is running fully in user mode, the next steps are to get the
MMTk collectors called marksweep, markcompact and generational fully
functional.  This will finally require the write barriers that we have
been working on for a while.  I'd really like to make all this happen
by end of August.  It really depends on how much time needs to be
spent on GCV5.

Once the above is working, I will address the "user mode".  That is,
call MMTk directly from DRLVM during bootup instead of calling MMTk as
a garden variety java application.

--
Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division