Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2015/09/10 00:20:44 UTC

AOO-Earmarked Funds

Andrea,

I notice, from time-to-time that there seem to be funds that there are AOO-earmarked funds that the ASF received..

Is it the case that those funds are dedicated to events, such as attendance allowances and collateral materials?

Or may these funds be applied to other purposes?

One case that comes to mind would be funding Infra for contracting extraordinary activity to satisfy our custom-infrastructure commitments in some small part.  We could request that of the Foundation, of course.  I'm just curious what the opportunities are.

 - Dennis

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 10 Sep 15, at 01:57, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> I notice, from time-to-time that there seem to be funds that there are AOO-earmarked funds that the ASF received..
>
> I do not know more about this than anyone else does. It's all in this mailing list archives. For example see here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2012+June
> (June 2012)
> We were able to initiate transfer of SPI funds formerly earmarked for
> OpenOffice.org to the ASF. However, due to changes in the ASF Fundraising
> chair, this transfer has been postponed. Followup with ASF Fundraising is
> needed to complete this transaction. These funds, as previously discussed,
> will primarily be used for developer travel when needed.
>
> (Note: I'm sure that the transfer was later done successfully and that the ASF Treasurer now manages these funds under a separate chapter)

Yes. It occurs to me that as Dennis’ query is utterly rational it would further make sense to have a note to undo the mystification of all other PMC members.

>> Is it the case that those funds are dedicated to events, such as attendance allowances and collateral materials?
>
> They were collected for a range of possible targets, but the only one feasible at Apache was events. Again, the discussion happened before mid-2012, I wasn't Chair and I didn't have any role in the discussion or in the project at the time.
>
>> One case that comes to mind would be funding Infra
>
> I don't remember if this was one of the possible uses, but again I didn't have a major role in the discussion about this in 2012.

I read over many of the relevant emails and actually infra was mentioned. Discussions on use of the funds are probably most interesting very early in the history of AOO.

louis

Re: AOO-Earmarked Funds

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.