Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> on 2009/07/05 11:49:29 UTC

[vysper] XMPP components [WAS: Whole Server as Pubsub service]

Hi,

Earlier, we discussed, if PubSub should be addressable at
  "pubsub.vysper.org" instead of "pubsub@vysper.org", although the
server address is simply "vysper.org".

See below for the initial discussion:

Michael Jakl wrote:
<snip/>
> The InfoRequest returns the disco information for a particular node.
> The Pubsub module could be addressable by its own JID inside the
> server. "pubsub.vysper.org" or something.

<snip/>

> The question thus is, should I "enhance" the server with the pubsub
> service, or provide an additional entity within the server? I tend
> towards the first option, but I'm not quite sure. What would you
> suggest?

To allow this to happen, I changed DiscoInfoIQHandler.

All samples within pubsub spec go with "pubsub.vysper.org".
This is because, quoting from XEP-0060:

"... the examples throughout assume the existence of a separate pubsub
component..."

XMPP components are addressable via a "subdomain" of the server, for
example component "zappa" is addressable as "zappa.vysper.org". Pubsub
could be such a component, but in our case currently is a more internal
component (a Vysper 'module').

So I'd like to revert my change from r77422, allowing component domains
to go through regardless of any checks, or more concretely, removing

   to.getDomain().endsWith(serviceEntity.getDomain())

in DiscoInfoIQHandler and wait for a proper implementation of XEP-0114,
"Jabber Component Protocol" (plus maybe XEP-0225).

I've opened
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VYSPER-91
for this.

Any problems with the proposed change? Comments?

  Bernd

Re: [vysper] XMPP components [WAS: Whole Server as Pubsub service]

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 11:49, Bernd Fondermann<bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> So I'd like to revert my change from r77422, allowing component domains
> to go through regardless of any checks, or more concretely, removing
>
>   to.getDomain().endsWith(serviceEntity.getDomain())
>
> in DiscoInfoIQHandler and wait for a proper implementation of XEP-0114,
> "Jabber Component Protocol" (plus maybe XEP-0225).
>
> I've opened
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VYSPER-91
> for this.
>
> Any problems with the proposed change? Comments?

Should a handler then specify for which domain it is supposed to
listen? I'm thinking of two instances of our component
pubsub1.vysper.org and pubsub2.vysper.org with different configuration
etc. running in one server.

Am I thinking overly complicated?

Michael

Re: [vysper] XMPP components [WAS: Whole Server as Pubsub service]

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Niklas Gustavsson<ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> Should we add a 0.1/1.0-M1 (or something) version in JIRA so that we
> can start planning what we want in it?

I've added a 1.0.0-M1 (can easily be renamed if we want another name
for it) version in JIRA, so feel free to start adding issues to it so
that we know what to work on for the first release.

/niklas

Re: [vysper] XMPP components [WAS: Whole Server as Pubsub service]

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 21:49, Niklas Gustavsson<ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Bernd
> Fondermann<be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Would it make sense to allow module run either as part of the main
>>> Vysper server, or as a separate component? If so, should we move
>>> Vysper to a multimodule build where for example the pubsub module goes
>>> into it's own JAR?
>>
>> That multi-module build a worthwhile goal on its own. Modules are
>> already loosly coupled, they could for sure go into their own
>> builds/jars.
>> With components this becomes even more valuable.
>
> I'll add a JIRA for it and we can do it when we got the time.
>
>>> I'm all for component support, I'm looking into implementing XEP-0045
>>> Multi user chat, which is also proposed to run in a component.
>>
>> +1, great if somebody takes this on. :-) But be warned that this might
>> require a lot of work ("tip of the iceberg" analogy).
>> I think MUC is much more valuable (at least to me) then components, so:
>> +10 for implementing MUC! ;-)
>
> I'm looking at MUC because it looks like much fun, so I'm not scared
> by the size. That being said, the spec is 150 whopping pages so if
> someone want to help out, you're more than welcome :-)
>
>> The reason why I never had a deeper look at XEP-0114 is that it's only
>> 'historical' and not part of the 'standards' track.
>>
>> What about doing a proper release, first? ;-)
>
> Should we add a 0.1/1.0-M1 (or something) version in JIRA so that we
> can start planning what we want in it?
>
> /niklas

sum(all) = +1

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.