Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Brinker <sb...@i-on.com> on 2001/07/18 00:18:49 UTC

Oracle JDBC in CLASSPATH for Tomcat 4.0

I am trying to load the Oracle 8.1.7 thin client JDBC driver in a simple
servlet under Tomcat 4.0-b5. However, the following line:

  Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");

...keeps generating a ClassNotFoundException. I am running on Windows 2000,
and I have verified that the CLASSPATH environment variable is:

  D:\oracle\ora81\jdbc\lib\classes12.zip

...which is where the JDBC driver is. (I can write a stand-alone Java
application that loads that driver just fine, so I know it is where I think
it is.)

For what it's worth, I'm also running under JDK 1.3.1.

Do I have to do something special to have my web app recognize the system
CLASSPATH? Is there some place else I need to explicitly define it?

Many thanks,

Scott

Re: Oracle JDBC in CLASSPATH for Tomcat 4.0

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Scott Brinker wrote:

>   D:\oracle\ora81\jdbc\lib\classes12.zip

Tomcat 4 looks only for JAR files, not ZIP files.

Craig McClanahan