Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Jason Kenny <jk...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> on 2016/10/20 02:15:25 UTC

TSQA replacement prototype ready for testing

Hi all,

I am about ready to make a pull request for the updated testing system to
replace the existing TSQA.

BUT.... Before I do I would like some others to give it this a run locally on your
setup. It would be very help for the effort to improve out testing if I
could get some help and other eyes to look at the system as is and provide
feedback.

Currently I (with help from others at Yahoo, most notably Persia Aziz for the
microserver improvements and https tests) have a number of tests ported from
TSQA done, as well as a few extra. I will be giving a talk about the new
system at the upcoming summate next week. I will be honest I have issues to
deal with yet, documentation that needs more work and feature are already
being requested as well as a few item I have to finish in the engine.

So how can you help!

There are few areas in which you can help out!

Try running the tests!
==================

You will need a build of traffic server installed. It is easiest if you have
a build configured like ./configure --prefix /home/<user>/ats. However, this
is not required. You may have to add a "sudo" command otherwise to the
./autest.sh command below

1) Check out to tests. You can find them here:
https://bitbucket.org/dragon512/ats_tests
2) cd ats_tests/tests
3) ./autest.sh -ats-bin <location of the ats/bin directory of an install
version of ats> --sandbox ~/sb

Just verify that everything ran without crashing and most every test passes.
Feel free to report any failing tests, it should be 100% pass rate.

If you are more advanced you can pip install the testing code directly via:
pip install
git+https://bitbucket.org/dragon512/reusable-gold-testing-system.git

to your system or your own virtual env. ( I will be updating the pip package
this week or next, so you can do "pip install autest" however, this package
is out of date on the pypi repo)

you can then run the tests in tests/gold_tests/ via running autest from that
directory or via passing it in via the -D option. ( run autest --help for
details on options)

Look at the documentation for AuTest.
================================

It still a work in progress, and needs more examples, etc... but feedback is
most welcome.
Given the documentation is technically a git repo, feel free to make
addition or fixes via a pull request or just drop me a line.

You can find the documentation at:
https://bitbucket.org/dragon512/reusable-gold-testing-system/wiki/Home

Try writing a test
==============

Try adding a test, or porting over a test I have not done yet in TSQA. I
don't have documentation yet for the autest extensions for traffic server
tests yet. However, if you look at the existing tests you should be able to
figure out what you can do. Of course feel free to ping me via IRC. It does
not hurt to get more tests added :-)

That's all I have at the moment. Any suggestion, thoughts, new tests, and
fixes are welcome.

Again here are a summary of links to look at:

The existing test for ATS can be found here:
https://bitbucket.org/dragon512/ats_tests

The Testing system can be found here:
https://bitbucket.org/dragon512/reusable-gold-testing-system

The documentation can be found here:
https://bitbucket.org/dragon512/reusable-gold-testing-system/wiki/Home

I look forward to meeting many of you all at the coming summate!

Also thanks to:
Thomas Jackson for his work on the current TSQA and his help and advice on
how to addressed different issues.
James Peach for his help and advice over earlier versions of the
documentation and the prototype.

It was very helpful for me in my work.

Thanks!
Jason