Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Richard Draucker <ri...@draucker.com> on 2001/12/28 04:59:46 UTC

James won't load - segmentation fault

I've had James running for about 2 days on one machine.  Then, I
installed it on another.  When I try to load it from run.sh, it
terminates with the error message: "Segmentation Fault" on the run.sh
line that loads the server.

FYI:
RedHat 7.1 on Intel 233 Pentium w/128M memory
Tomcat 3.2.1
Xalan in ~tomcat_home/lib
Xerces in ~tomcat_home/lib
jdk1.3.1

The machine it runs fine on is an 866 PIII with 256M memory.  I believe
the rest of the config is the same though.

Any idea what might cause this, or how to solve it?

Re: James won't load - segmentation fault

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Sounds like a bad JVM as James is in Java, so it shouldn't be able to cause
a segment fault on it's own.  Check the version and perhaps download the
latest 1.3 JVM from Sun or IBM.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <li...@bigdaz.com>.
G'day

Certain RedHat distros give segfaults with certain JDKs. (I can't remember
the exact versions of each). This is documented in the JDK installation
guide/release notes.

The solution is to upgrade RedHat, or use the IBM JDK (which seems to run
faster on my machine as well, as a bonus).

hope this helps
ciao
Daz

Posted by Vasko Tomanov <va...@web.bg>.
change the JVM to latest IBM JVM 1.3... I have the same problem with
other Java sofware and when I Change the JVM to IBM JVM the problems
disappeared

vasko

RE: James won't load - segmentation fault

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
RH 7.2 is *much* the best bet, it seems that it is RH 7.1 which is at fault,
and there are other (unrelated to this) issues surrounding RH7.1 that 7.2
addresses.
Of course it may be impractical to bring your machine down for long enough
to upgrade the OS.
We've been using jdk 1.4 for some weeks now on dev't machines and found no
noticable problems with james or tc.
d.

Posted by Richard Draucker <ri...@draucker.com>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.