Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2005/12/07 01:32:54 UTC

Re: AFL code in an ASF project

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Alternatively, if there isn't an easy
answer on the Academic Free License 2.1, is there an easy answer for
Modified BSD License? (The package in question has just dual-licensed under
AFL 2.1 & Modified BSD, since the latter is agreeable to the FSF.)

This subject is likely to come up in discussion at ApacheCon next week, so
it would be nice if we could know where we stand, ahead of time.

Thanks!

--
Martin Cooper

Re: AFL code in an ASF project

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Modified BSD License appears to be a name for BSD without the advertising
clause; ie) the BSD license that is commonly used by many projects. So no
problems with BSD licenses.

Can't say I understand dual licensing though :) Especially in the case of
a distributable. If Apache XXX depends on Dualie the Dual Licensed
Project, does Apache XXX's usage flatten the dual-license waveform into a
single license, ie) the one we can use, and mean that any user of Apache
XXX has to use Dualie as a BSD license and not as an AFL license. Or is it
something else :)

Going by hearsay, I thought AFL was okay if it was the right version, but
I'm not sure how you determine the right version.

Hen