Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de> on 2001/07/02 12:41:35 UTC

[C2]: VOTE - The cocoon protocol

Hi,

to finish the work on the cocoon: url protocol, we have to
decide how it should work, e.g. how to address a resource
of a parent sitemap etc.

Sylvain suggested the following:

Since "cocoon:" isn't a real URL protocol (host and port have no meaning
here), it could depend on the number of "/" characters, i.e. :
- "cocoon:hello.html" : relative to the current URI
- "cocoon:/hello.html" : relative to the current sitemap
- "cocoon://hello.html" : absolute from the root sitemap
<<<<

I think we should keep it as simple as possible. So I would vote
that we only use this two:
- "cocoon:/hello.html" : relative to the current sitemap
- "cocoon://hello.html" : absolute from the root sitemap

Using this notion it is not possible to directly refer to a
parent sitemap. You can only address the root sitemap or
the current sitemap.

Carsten

Re: [C2]: VOTE - The cocoon protocol

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> to finish the work on the cocoon: url protocol, we have to
> decide how it should work, e.g. how to address a resource
> of a parent sitemap etc.
>
> Sylvain suggested the following:
> >>>>
> Since "cocoon:" isn't a real URL protocol (host and port have no meaning
> here), it could depend on the number of "/" characters, i.e. :
> - "cocoon:hello.html" : relative to the current URI
> - "cocoon:/hello.html" : relative to the current sitemap
> - "cocoon://hello.html" : absolute from the root sitemap
> <<<<
>
> I think we should keep it as simple as possible. So I would vote
> that we only use this two:
> - "cocoon:/hello.html" : relative to the current sitemap
> - "cocoon://hello.html" : absolute from the root sitemap

+1. Maybe URI-relative addressing was FS.

> Using this notion it is not possible to directly refer to a
> parent sitemap. You can only address the root sitemap or
> the current sitemap.

I'm not sure this is a real issue.

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 02.Jul.2001 -- 09:42 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Carsten,
>
> Would it more intuitive to use:
>  - "sitemap://hello.html" : relative to the current sitemap
>  - "cocoon://hello.html" : absolute from the root sitemap

Vadim,

three observations: 1) we should adhere to the protocol + path
paradigm therefore I believe it's better to have both use cases the
same "protocol".

2) there's already "context:", "file:", "resource:" (which rather
unintuitively doesn't address a sitemap resource but something
completely different, not cocoon's fault, anyway) and many more which
is at first glance quite confusing already. (Does a primer on this
exist somewhere?)

3) I believe "context:" is very similar hence both should conform to
similar rules regarding slashes.

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

RE: [C2]: VOTE - The cocoon protocol

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> Would it more intuitive to use:
>  - "sitemap://hello.html" : relative to the current sitemap
>  - "cocoon://hello.html" : absolute from the root sitemap
>
> It may be confusing if different amount of "/" is used...

Why confusing? Isn't the URL RFC allowing such things like relative and
absolute pathes according to the count of slashes?

Giacomo

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <vg...@hns.com>.
Carsten,

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to finish the work on the cocoon: url protocol, we have to
> decide how it should work, e.g. how to address a resource
> of a parent sitemap etc.
>
> Sylvain suggested the following:
> >>>>
> Since "cocoon:" isn't a real URL protocol (host and port have no meaning
> here), it could depend on the number of "/" characters, i.e. :
> - "cocoon:hello.html" : relative to the current URI
> - "cocoon:/hello.html" : relative to the current sitemap
> - "cocoon://hello.html" : absolute from the root sitemap
> <<<<
>
> I think we should keep it as simple as possible. So I would vote
> that we only use this two:
> - "cocoon:/hello.html" : relative to the current sitemap
> - "cocoon://hello.html" : absolute from the root sitemap
>
> Using this notion it is not possible to directly refer to a
> parent sitemap. You can only address the root sitemap or
> the current sitemap.

+1

I'm with Carstens suggestion because the cocoon: protocol refers to the
sitemap not really to an URL since you are able to have any hierarchy in
a sitemap (and I think it is much faster to implement and performs
better :)

Giacomo