Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net> on 2005/06/21 00:27:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Using authentication provided by a third-party mechanism

Hello, all -

I've seen several examples on how to implement basic authentication,
drawing usernames and passwords with anything from a simple text file,
to a large LDAP or MySQL server.  I'd like to take it one step further.

We are developing an application in-house that does a few things,
including username/password authentication.  I'd like to somehow
implement this system into Apache's existing basic authentication, in a
manner that is consistant with these other third-party authentication
modules.

For right now, something as simple as piping the username and password
as an argument to a binary that is executed every time basic
authentication is attempted, would work fine.  I almost expect that,
with the introduction of multiple authentication modules, a username and
password could be piped as arguments to an external executable would be
existant, but I'm just not sure.

Anyone have any tips and/or tricks for me?

Thanks!
-dant

Re: [users@httpd] Using authentication provided by a third-party mechanism

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/20/05, Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net> wrote:
> Hello, all -
>
> I've seen several examples on how to implement basic authentication,
> drawing usernames and passwords with anything from a simple text file,
> to a large LDAP or MySQL server.  I'd like to take it one step further.
>
> We are developing an application in-house that does a few things,
> including username/password authentication.  I'd like to somehow
> implement this system into Apache's existing basic authentication, in a
> manner that is consistant with these other third-party authentication
> modules.
>
> For right now, something as simple as piping the username and password
> as an argument to a binary that is executed every time basic
> authentication is attempted, would work fine.  I almost expect that,
> with the introduction of multiple authentication modules, a username and
> password could be piped as arguments to an external executable would be
> existant, but I'm just not sure.
>
> Anyone have any tips and/or tricks for me?

Try:
http://www.unixpapa.com/mod_auth_external.html

Joshua.