Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Kowalski <ro...@kowalski.gd> on 2016/12/16 18:55:45 UTC

[PLANNING] CouchDB 2.1

Hi,

I wanted to test the waters regarding a CouchDB 2.1 release. Since 2.0
a few new features and many bug fixes have landed.

I know its holiday season soon and I wanted to kick off the discussion
about a release date for 2.0.1 or 2.1.0.

One thing that worries me (correct me if I am wrong): I think
releasing CouchDB depends much on Joan and Jan right now, which is bad
(bus factor etc).

I don't know much about the internals of the build process for our
releases, but I would volunteer to automate the (jenkins?-)build for
snaps.

Best,
Robert

Re: [PLANNING] CouchDB 2.1

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
And for feature requests, I think we should enable the compaction daemon by default, now that _global_changes can grow quite a bunch in a very short time.

Best
Jan

Re: [PLANNING] CouchDB 2.1

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

thanks for taking the lead on this.

> On 16 Dec 2016, at 19:55, Robert Kowalski <ro...@kowalski.gd> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to test the waters regarding a CouchDB 2.1 release. Since 2.0
> a few new features and many bug fixes have landed.
>
> I know its holiday season soon and I wanted to kick off the discussion
> about a release date for 2.0.1 or 2.1.0.

We don’t really need a date, we just need to do the release :)

> One thing that worries me (correct me if I am wrong): I think
> releasing CouchDB depends much on Joan and Jan right now, which is bad
> (bus factor etc).

Not quite for me*:

Current master is always built and published into http://couchdb.apache.org/release-candidate/2.0/

For to-be-voted-on release-candidate, feel free to take the latest tarball there and untar, rename the resulting directory into apache-couchdb-x.y.z and tar up again.

This all is built on http://ci.couchdb.org:8888 — if you sign up, tell me when you’ve done so, and I can give you admin rights. — The Mac binary is also built there automatically.

Note that ci.couchdb.org is different from the builds.apache.org run by the ASF, which we _should_ use, but haven’t gotten around to yet. This is where the bus factor comes into play, as this is my private Jenkins, which we’ve always planned to retire, but since we’ve never fully integrated the builds.apache.org infra into our processes, that hasn’t happened yet. This is something we should focus on too, but it doesn’t have to hold the release.

> I don't know much about the internals of the build process for our
> releases, but I would volunteer to automate the (jenkins?-)build for
> snaps.

Great! :)

Best
Jan

Re: [PLANNING] CouchDB 2.1

Posted by Nick North <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joan,

Having done some work with the Windows build in the past, I'm happy to try to help with automating it. If you think there's anything I can do, maybe we could have a separate discussion on the steps needed to make it better.

Nick

Re: [PLANNING] CouchDB 2.1

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.