Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com> on 2012/07/22 05:54:00 UTC

Git pull requests

Jukka, et al,

  I can't remember - so sorry if I am just forgetting - but I thought
that when we got pull requests and merged them in that GitHub would
automatically close the pull request. But I pulled one a couple weeks
ago and it didn't close.  Is there something we can/need to do to
close pull requests?

Here's the pull req: https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/16
I used this (from the email) to pull it in:     $ git pull
https://github.com/jesselong/wicket for-apache-master-pr-2
And the commit is in our repo:
https://github.com/apache/wicket/commit/83740b9e5f9ca91ae185bc5683b6c94a5349b85b

Thanks!
Jeremy Thomerson

Re: Git pull requests

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, pull requests are never automatically closed for the
> GitHub apache mirrors.

I believe this is because of GitHub's mirroring script that pulls
changes from us instead of us actively pushing changes to GitHub.

It is possible for us to start actively pushing changes to GitHub as a
part of our normal Git mirror update process, which should solve this
issue (though note that this would only work for git projects, not svn
ones). See INFRA-5097.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Git pull requests

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <
jeremy@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:

>   I can't remember - so sorry if I am just forgetting - but I thought
> that when we got pull requests and merged them in that GitHub would
> automatically close the pull request. But I pulled one a couple weeks
> ago and it didn't close.  Is there something we can/need to do to
> close pull requests?

As far as I know, pull requests are never automatically closed for the
GitHub apache mirrors.  I always drop a little comment in the pull request
that they will need to close it "by hand", eventually.

Some discussion of how to "fix" this, here:

Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: Git pull requests

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Jeremy Thomerson
<je...@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Paul Davis
> <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Jeremy Thomerson
>> <je...@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
>>> Jukka, et al,
>>>
>>>   I can't remember - so sorry if I am just forgetting - but I thought
>>> that when we got pull requests and merged them in that GitHub would
>>> automatically close the pull request. But I pulled one a couple weeks
>>> ago and it didn't close.  Is there something we can/need to do to
>>> close pull requests?
>>>
>>> Here's the pull req: https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/16
>>> I used this (from the email) to pull it in:     $ git pull
>>> https://github.com/jesselong/wicket for-apache-master-pr-2
>>> And the commit is in our repo:
>>> https://github.com/apache/wicket/commit/83740b9e5f9ca91ae185bc5683b6c94a5349b85b
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Jeremy Thomerson
>>
>> I don't see that commit on master. Not sure if I'm just missing it but
>> I think that's a requirement for the PR to be closed automatically.
>
> It's there: https://github.com/apache/wicket/commits/master?page=2
>
> Jeremy

Ah. Not sure then. I wonder if GH has docs on the specifics for auto
closing PR's.

Re: Git pull requests

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.

Re: Git pull requests