Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Tutkowski, Mike" <Mi...@netapp.com> on 2016/06/16 01:42:03 UTC

Release-Management Question about New API Plug-in

Hi,

This is mainly a release-management question, but - of course - anyone who knows, please feel free to comment.

I have been developing a new API plug-in for a customer. The customer is using CloudStack 4.6.

I'd like to contribute the plug-in to our official repo, but I'm wondering if I can open a PR as far back as 4.6 (and, of course, I'd like to have this plug-in in all subsequent releases, as well).

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Mike

Re: Release-Management Question about New API Plug-in

Posted by "Tutkowski, Mike" <Mi...@netapp.com>.
Sounds good, John

I think it will be easier if I just release it directly to the customer.

I can always port it to the latest CloudStack version later, if I'd like to.

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.
That is assuming the RM is willing to do that and forward merge it up to
the latest master.

Technically for 4.9, we supported merging into 4.7 and 4.8 and master.
Once 4.9 is release, the officially supported branches will be 4.8, 4.9 and
master.  Rajani is correct that ideally new features will go into master
and only bug fixes will be added to the older branches, but with an
increased release pace, this may add unintended work on PR authors if their
features don't get into the upcoming release.

Hope that helps...

*Will STEVENS*
Lead Developer

*CloudOps* *| *Cloud Solutions Experts
w cloudops.com *|* tw @CloudOps_

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
Mike,

john.burwell@shapeblue.comĀ

Posted by "Tutkowski, Mike" <Mi...@netapp.com>.

Posted by Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
just do it. And as a committer make it on a branch in the apache repo, I'd
say. As a escrow to your customer ;)

--
Daan