Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Konstantinos Dimkas <ks...@csd.auth.gr> on 2016/02/25 11:40:44 UTC

Opening txt file

Hi all,

I want to run a stress test to a cloud infrastructure. Beside from uploading and downloading files, i want to open a large txt file that is uploaded to the cloud. We have problems with rendering large txt files and i want to test it.

So, how do i open a test.txt file, and cause the server to render it but not downloading it?

Thanks in advance,
Konstantinos Dimkas

Re: Opening txt file

Posted by Konstantinos Dimkas <ks...@csd.auth.gr>.
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the advice!

I am not sure if OS process sampler will do the job because i want to open it via the cloud application.
As for the GNU Binutils, i am not very familiar with it, but i will look around for some more info about how it works.

> On 25 Feb 2016, at 15:53, Bob <b....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Use OS Process sampler, pass command something like "cat". But I'm not sure if it's good option. IMHO, it's better to use GNU Binutils.
>
> http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#OS_Process_Sampler
>
> On 25/02/16 15:40, Konstantinos Dimkas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to run a stress test to a cloud infrastructure. Beside from uploading and downloading files, i want to open a large txt file that is uploaded to the cloud. We have problems with rendering large txt files and i want to test it.
>>
>> So, how do i open a test.txt file, and cause the server to render it but not downloading it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Konstantinos Dimkas

Konstantinos Dimkas

Re: Opening txt file

Posted by Kiran Badi <ki...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I need you need to take a step back and understand your problem scenario well.
Rendering is client side activity and you need to bit techy to understand it and I am not sure if you use browser to view the text files. If you use browser, then It's very simple, larger the size of text file, more the time browser will take to render it and there is hardly optimization you can do here. Client side activity is always 1 user test.
Generally to understand rendering , please see below links,
How to Look at Performance | Web Tools - Google Developers
https://www.udacity.com//course/viewer#!/c-ud884/l-1464158641/m-1573738632
I use most of the time timing api's to measure the rendering. Its easy to use and gives correct measurement.
Navigation Timing API
|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| Navigation Timing APIThe Navigation Timing API provides data that can be used to measure the performance of a website. Unlike other JavaScript-based mechanisms that have been used f... |
|  |
| View on developer.mozilla.org | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

The operation you mentioned can be measured using jmeter, if you are getting the text file from the cloud, it becomes get request, and if you are editing and then again saving it to cloud,then its get and then followed by either post or put request, all these can be done via jmeter via http sampler.
What jmeter cannot do is measuring the rendering time, and based on your description of the problem, I do not think you need rendering.
I am also not sure as what type of text editor are you talking about, notepad or notepad++ or WYSIWYG type of text editor(these are rich editor often embedded in webpages and often the source of performance issues, so there is often the limitation in terms of number of characters allowed in.)
With Regards,
Kiran Badi
Email:kiranbadi@yahoo.com
Ph- US-(+01)6462013101

Posted by Bob <b....@gmail.com>.
So you need to load test cloud application something similar to Cloud9?
If yes, just configure your proxy and record all steps which stands for
opening file or use API. I think this can be done with HTTP sampler.

Re: Opening txt file

Posted by Konstantinos Dimkas <ks...@csd.auth.gr>.
The cloud application, opens the text files via a text editor so the user is able both to see and edit the text file.
As for the content of the txt file, it does not matter at all. I will run the tests with dummy text file that has random files inside.

> On 25 Feb 2016, at 17:12, Konstantinos Dimkas <ks...@csd.auth.gr> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The problem is that i do not want to download anything from the file. I just want somehow to render it without downloading it.
> I want to stress test the rendering mechanism of my cloud infrastructure,
>
> Thanks for responding!
>
>> On 25 Feb 2016, at 16:29, Sergio Boso <sergio@bosoconsulting.it <ma...@bosoconsulting.it>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,another option is to  check the "save response as MD5" that avois
>> keeping all the file in memory.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Sergio Boso
>> cell. 335 7243 445
>> Il 25/Feb/2016 14:53, "Bob" <b.meliev@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> ha scritto:
>>
>>> Use OS Process sampler, pass command something like "cat". But I'm not
>>> sure if it's good option. IMHO, it's better to use GNU Binutils.
>>>

>>> http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#OS_Process_Sampler <http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#OS_Process_Sampler>

> Konstantinos Dimkas

Konstantinos Dimkas

Re: Opening txt file

Posted by Konstantinos Dimkas <ks...@csd.auth.gr>.
Hi,

The problem is that i do not want to download anything from the file. I just want somehow to render it without downloading it.
I want to stress test the rendering mechanism of my cloud infrastructure,

Thanks for responding!

> On 25 Feb 2016, at 16:29, Sergio Boso <se...@bosoconsulting.it> wrote:
>
> Hi,another option is to  check the "save response as MD5" that avois
> keeping all the file in memory.
>
> Regards
>
> Sergio Boso
> cell. 335 7243 445
> Il 25/Feb/2016 14:53, "Bob" <b....@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> Use OS Process sampler, pass command something like "cat". But I'm not
>> sure if it's good option. IMHO, it's better to use GNU Binutils.
>>

>> http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#OS_Process_Sampler
>>
>> On 25/02/16 15:40, Konstantinos Dimkas wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I want to run a stress test to a cloud infrastructure. Beside from
>>> uploading and downloading files, i want to open a large txt file that is
>>> uploaded to the cloud. We have problems with rendering large txt files and
>>> i want to test it.
>>>
>>> So, how do i open a test.txt file, and cause the server to render it but
>>> not downloading it?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Konstantinos Dimkas

Konstantinos Dimkas

RE: Opening txt file

Posted by "Brown, Alan" <Al...@mentor.com>.
Which would you say matters more: that the contents of the file are intact, or that it is available to access from your cloud? If you want to check the file contents and test that they are correct, I would recommend generating a txt file at random, uploading it to your cloud, then downloading it from the cloud using HTTP requests. Then you could implement some kind of java sampler which parses the contents of the txt file into strings and compares them to check that the file is still intact.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Opening txt file

Posted by Sergio Boso <se...@bosoconsulting.it>.