Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Rich Johns <rj...@vignette.com> on 2000/08/30 17:03:02 UTC

byte array literal xml payload

Is anyone sending a byte array (sometimes large) as
a parameter? And if so, how are you doing it?

I'd like to use Literal XML encoding. I've seen some
stuff written about attachments, but I'd like to consider
approaches that work right now.

thanks.

Re: byte array literal xml payload

Posted by Rich Johns <rj...@vignette.com>.
To add to my own post (sorry), I mean solutions
apart from: byte[]->String->byte[]. I was thinking
along the lines of sending an URL such that the
provider class would go fetch it and chunk it.
Or a serializable stream of some kind.

thanks.

Posted by Cory Isaacson <ci...@capita2.com>.
I haven't tried it, but if you just had a byte array in your DOM and used
the Literal XML encoding it should go through fine. I have used Literal XML
successfully for text data and byte encoding should be no different. The
only consideration is the performance (see earlier emails on this subject)
as SOAP makes its own copy on both ends, as its not a streaming environment.
So small binary data should be fine, but any large files would definitely be
slow.

Cory

Posted by Rich Johns <rj...@vignette.com>.

Posted by Rich Johns <rj...@vignette.com>.