Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Chris Mills (Chrysalis)" <ch...@chrysalishosting.com> on 2006/08/22 02:34:35 UTC

Scanning forwarded email

Hi everyone, I have a problem and would appreciate any help possible. I'm a
novice to SA, but have been trying to find information on this without
success.

I am currently running SA 3.1.4 on a Fedora Linux server, hosting almost 100
domains and a couple thousand email accounts.
The server also runs sendmail, mailscanner, ensim, and I see procmail (none
of which I am really that familiar with, with perhaps the exception of
mailscanner which I have modified before).

Problem: when i first got the server, it had an older version of SA
installed, 2.x. At the time, messages sent either directly to mailboxes on
the server, or forwarded by the server to external email addresse via
aliases, were all being scanned.

Here's an example:

Message sent to me@mydomain.com (an alias)
Which forwards to me@gmail.com (not scanned or flagged by SA)
and forwards to me@blackberry.com (not scanned or flagged by SA, and flooded
with junk!)
and forwards to mymaibox@mydomain.com (scanned and flagged, and downloaded
by my office mail client)

What I would like to do is get back the functionality that I used to have,
where any alias on our server (any domain) is automatically subject to being
scanned by SA before being forwarded.

The ONLY limitation with this is that there was a problem with Sendmail on
the same server which saw the deliverymode option resulting in undelivered
messages if set to "queueonly". It has to be set to "background". I don't
know if this is something that will be an issue preventing this
functionality from being activated.

Can someone please guide me through exactly what I need to do to get this
back online? My customers are giving me hell!!

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Scanning forwarded email

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Chris Mills (Chrysalis)" <ch...@chrysalishosting.com>

> Hi everyone, I have a problem and would appreciate any help possible. I'm a
> novice to SA, but have been trying to find information on this without
> success.
>
> I am currently running SA 3.1.4 on a Fedora Linux server, hosting almost 100
> domains and a couple thousand email accounts.
> The server also runs sendmail, mailscanner, ensim, and I see procmail (none
> of which I am really that familiar with, with perhaps the exception of
> mailscanner which I have modified before).
>
> Problem: when i first got the server, it had an older version of SA
> installed, 2.x. At the time, messages sent either directly to mailboxes on
> the server, or forwarded by the server to external email addresse via
> aliases, were all being scanned.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> Message sent to me@mydomain.com (an alias)
> Which forwards to me@gmail.com (not scanned or flagged by SA)
> and forwards to me@blackberry.com (not scanned or flagged by SA, and flooded
> with junk!)
> and forwards to mymaibox@mydomain.com (scanned and flagged, and downloaded
> by my office mail client)
>
> What I would like to do is get back the functionality that I used to have,
> where any alias on our server (any domain) is automatically subject to being
> scanned by SA before being forwarded.
>
> The ONLY limitation with this is that there was a problem with Sendmail on
> the same server which saw the deliverymode option resulting in undelivered
> messages if set to "queueonly". It has to be set to "background". I don't
> know if this is something that will be an issue preventing this
> functionality from being activated.
>
> Can someone please guide me through exactly what I need to do to get this
> back online? My customers are giving me hell!!

That is not a SpamAssassin problem. That is your MTA or MDA screwing
you up. You made a change in that area and need to "unchange" it.

{^_^}