Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/01 20:41:20 UTC

Re: Synergies with Apache Avro?

+dev@avro.apache.org

Hello,

Adding dev@avro for awareness.

Thanks Jorge for exploring/reporting this. This is an exciting
development. I am not aware of any work in the Avro side on
optimizations of in-memory representation, so any improvements there
could be great. (The comment by Micah about boxing for Java is
definitely one, and there could be more). I am in awe that the 'extra
step' of moving from a row to columnar in memory representation has so
little overhead, or maybe we can only discover this with more complex
schemas.

The Java implementation serializes to an array of Objects [1] (like
Python). Any needed changes to support a different in-memory
representation should be reasonable easy to plug, this should be an
internal detail that hopefully is not leaking through the user APIs.
Avro is quite conservative about new features but we have support for
experimental features [2] so backing the format with Arrow could be
one. The only issue I see from the Java side is introducing the Arrow
dependencies. Avro has fought a long battle to get rid of most of the
dependencies to simplify downstream use.

For Rust, since the Rust APIs are not yet considered stable and
dependencies could be less of an issue I suppose we have 'carte
blanche' to back it internally with Arrow specially if it brings
performance advantages.

There are some benchmarks of a Python version backed by the Rust
implementation that are faster than fastavro [3] so we could be into
something. Note that the python version on Apache is really slow
because it is pure python, but having a version backed by the rust one
(and the Arrow in memory improvements) could be a nice project
specially if improved by Arrow.

Ismaël

[1] https://github.com/apache/avro/blob/a1fce29d9675b4dd95dfee9db32cc505d0b2227c/lang/java/avro/src/main/java/org/apache/avro/generic/GenericData.java#L223
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AVRO/Experimental+features+in+Avro
[3] https://ep2018.europython.eu/media/conference/slides/how-to-write-rust-instead-of-c-and-get-away-with-it-yes-its-a-python-talk.pdf

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ismaël,

Apologies for the double post.

Avro is quite conservative about new features but we have support for
> experimental features [2] so backing the format with Arrow could be
> one. The only issue I see from the Java side is introducing the Arrow
> dependencies.

I think reducing dependencies is a good goal.   Arrow's Java integration
with Avro [1] lives in a separate module and hooks into lower level Avro
APIs.  If there is interest in experimentation it would be great to get
this library into a better state (and if there is interest in long term
maintainership in the Avro community, I for one would be happy to help
facilitate this).

[1]
https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/master/java/adapter/avro/src/main/java/org/apache/arrow

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.