Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Divakar Satyanarayan <Di...@mascotsystems.com> on 2002/10/22 10:05:30 UTC

Dynamic Text Fields on Form

Hi,

  I have the following problem.

   I have a form thats used to display records from database. The data thats
displayed on the form is editable. Over the period the number of records
increase that mean my input fields on the form will also increase.That would
mean getter & setter method to be created for every form field that gets
added to the form.

  Is there any work around for this ? Has anyone come across this problem.?

Thanks & Regards,
Divakar

DISCLAIMER: Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is
proprietary to Mascot Systems Limited and is intended for use only by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If this is a forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may not have
been sent with the authority of the Company. If you are not the intended
recipient, an agent of the intended recipient or a person responsible for
delivering the information to the named recipient, you are notified that any
use, distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this
information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please delete this mail & notify us
immediately at Mailadmin@mascotsystems.com Before opening attachments,
please scan for viruses.

Re: [Logging] How to make the darn logs work again?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
One additional note:  Since it's apparant you're using log4j, you may
have problems using the commons-logging.jar that came with 1.1b2.  There
was a build issue.  You'll want to grab the "latest and greatest"
commons-logging-1.0.1.jar and dump that in your lib folder.

--
Eddie Bush

RE: [Logging] How to make the darn logs work again?

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
Eddie & James,

Many thanks for your help!

It seems to be working now - no more error message and Im seeing a few
messages from struts now too. :-)
Im using the code Eddie sent, and I also had to follow his advice re.
updating the commons-logging.jar file before it would work.
Seems struts 1.1b1 also has the problem (I havent upgraded to b2 yet
(lazy)).
Now when I get a chance I suppose I better look up what all the incantations
in the property file actually mean so I can tune it to my needs...

cheers
Andrew

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.
Eddie gave you one.

I'll attach an example that Chuck used in his Beer4All demo.

Just put it in WEB-INF/classes/

James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
http://www.open-tools.org

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: [Logging] How to make the darn logs work again?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.
I believe its trying to use log4j without a configuration file.

Have you tried adding a generic log4j.properties file to the classpath?

Re: [PlugIn] Order of initialisation

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
I believe you are correctamundo.

--
Eddie Bush

Re: [PlugIn] Order of initialisation

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Andrew Hill wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:35:22 +0800
> From: Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>
> Subject: [PlugIn] Order of initialisation
>
> About to use struts Plug-In functionality for the first time to initialise
> some config data (for which I plan to use Digester :-> ).
>
> Are any plug ins I create called in the order they are specified in
> struts-config, and can I assume that the second plugins init() wont be
> called until after the first one has completed?

Yes.  They are all initialized on a single thread, so the init() call for
the previous plugin completes first.

> (I can have multiple plug-ins right?)

Yes.

Craig

Re: [Digester] Version?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Andrew Hill wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:07:30 +0800
> From: Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>
> Subject: [Digester] Version?
>
> Which version of Digester is struts (1.1b1) using? Can I upgrade this to the
> current version or is the current version included with struts 1.1b2?

Struts 1.1b1 used whatever version of Digester was current when it came
out (in January), which is probably at least a couple of revs out of date.

> Ive just discovered that this version doesnt have half the stuff Ive been
> making notes about and I have to use the deprecated methods that I ignored
> when I was reading up on it! :-(

I suspect you'll have problems just dumpting the JARs in, but it would
work if you recompiled Struts 1.1b1 against the new Digester classes.

Craig

[Digester] Version?

RE: [PlugIn] @@#@ing ApplicationConfig changes

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
Not wanting to have to rewrite my code when I upgrade by struts build from
1.1b1 to 1.1b2 I have used this workaround in my plugin. In theory it should
work ok in both without having to edit my source after I upgrade:

  public void init(ApplicationConfig config) throws ServletException
  {
    try
    {
      Object servlet = PropertyUtils.getProperty(config,"servlet");
      init((ActionServlet)servlet,config);
    }
    catch(Throwable t)
    {
      throw new ServletException("Error in init() method",t);
    }
  }

  public void init(ActionServlet servlet, ApplicationConfig config) throws
ServletException
  {
    //etc...

:-)

Re: Dynamic Text Fields on Form

Posted by deepank <de...@sasken.com>.
Hi,
Use of Nested tags and indexed properties can help here , i havent myself
used them yet.

See the Nested Tags tutorial by Arron Bates in Resource>Tutorials on the
Struts home page

Deepank