Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Tim Neukum <ne...@olin.wustl.edu> on 2003/12/03 10:04:53 UTC

smtp connection

I'm having a bit of trouble configuring the smtp connection. I added
users using the telnet command, then I set up the users using evolution
mail client on the same machine running the server. I enter the POP
server as mail.innershell.com, the A name entry for the domain. (dns
provided by ZoneEdit) I do the same for the smtp configuration but I
can't connect to the smtp server, unless I specify the dns server as
localhost.

I'm at a loss. I have the firewall configured to forward the port to 25
(shouldn't matter for same machine...i think), and netstat says java
(obviously james) is listening on 25 and it works when smtp is set to
localhost so it's obviously listening.

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/mail.ch?domain=innershell.com This test
says I have an MX record. and says try connecting to
mail.innershell.com. so what gives? Is the dnsserver supposed to be the
ISP dns server or my zoneedit provided dns servers? Does it matter?

When I try to send mail to user_at_wustl.edu from
user_at_innershell.com, mail just sits in the outgoing repository. When
I try to send mail from wustl.edu to innershell.com I get nothing. Not
an undeliverable message, nothing in the spam or error
directories....nothin.

HELP!

-Tim

Re: smtp connection

Posted by James Kearney <ja...@hotmail.com>.
May be a stupid question but have you tried using nslookup with the same dns
server entry that you have configured in the config file, to make sure you
are getting the correct ip address of the where the smtp server is located?
Make sure you don't have a higher MX record, that it is successfully
delivering to, before your own server as well of course.

Apologies if you have already checked this :o)

james kearney.