Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/15 18:43:21 UTC

How to reject svn changes?

Every once in a while (more often than I care to admin) one of our
developers does something really boneheaded. They check in changes that
shouldn't be there.

I'm finding it an enormous pain to back out the changes, particularly if
then extend across multiple files.

How can I do a rejection of changes in a particular checkin? Sometimes I
want to reject changes to a particular file, and sometimes I want to
reject everything in a particular revision. I really want the garbage
out of the repository permanently.

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Marc,

Thanks for the correction.

Regards,
Blair

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.
> Let me just make the point that I was not arguing for removal of
> obliteration functions, I just don't believe they should be a common
> function easily accessible.

Somewhat offtopic...

I don't believe ANY function should deliberately be made 'hard to
access'.  If you don't want it easy in your system - don't give anyone
else access to it, it should be an admin-only feature.

Restricted access, certainly.

Explained and advised against in recommended practices, sure.

But please don't advocate using obfuscated or arduous UI as a good thing.

--
Talden

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen <la...@vkarlsen.no>.
Gah, why is gmail jumping from replying to person and the mailing list on
every other post I make...

Sorry les, this was intended for the group, not you personally.

---

Let me just make the point that I was not arguing for removal of
obliteration functions, I just don't believe they should be a common
function easily accessible.

I've seen too much problems resulting in a source control tool that made it
easy to remove files altogether, and then trying to tie together older
revisions of projects that I personally feel that the Subversion has done
the right thing, made it painful to do, but not impossible.

Personally I feel that there should be other mechanisms in place to handle
the problems being described.

As I see it, there are two problems:

1. mistakes, in the form of uncompilable code, bugs, etc. are committed to
the repository, causing problems for developers updating their working copy
afterwards
2. insecurity, in the form of committing things you really *really* don't
want in a historical repository. Things like lists of passwords, etc. that
someone with read access to your repository really shouldn't have access to

In the first case, this is easily fixable by reverting the revision. Yes,
it'll leave the buggy revision in the repository, but that shouldn't cause
too much problems.

In the second case, this can be handled by the dump/reload cycle. It's
painful, yes, but hopefully your developers will learn not to do that after
their first encounter with this.

If, on the other hand, an obliteration function was easily used, it would be
used, often. Often enough that some day you'd like to get to an old version
of something only to find out that it's no longer there because of space
concerns on the disk, or someone obliterated the wrong version, etc. As you
said, mistakes do happen, and there's no guarantee someone won't make a
mistake when obliterating something either. At least with a historical
system you can find all the historical data, faults and all.

I still stand by my original point. As long as things are fixable,
pretending they didn't happen isn't the way to go.

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
mailto:lasse@vkarlsen.no
http://presentationmode.blogspot.com/
PGP KeyID: 0xBCDEA2E3

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't think that the best answer is to implement a delete function in
>  a repository. A better answer is to have a decent workflow system so
>  that changes can get reviewed before they get committed.
>
>  There are probably multiple good ways to implement this. One that I have
>  in mind is to have three repositories. The first is for rough drafts:
>  developers should check their code into it frequently whether the code
>  works or not. Developers promote code from the first to the second when
>  they think their code is ready for review. A team lead promotes the code
>  from the second to the third "production" repository only after it has
>  gone through review and all unit tests.

How is this different than having (in 1 repository):

  /employees
  /reviewed
  /production

?

Bye,

Erik.

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Tom Widmer <to...@camcog.com>.
Chris wrote:

>  > and some systems integrate code reviews into the process to that no
>  > un-reviewed code will ever slip into the repository.
>  > I suggest setting up a code review process. There are some products out
>  > there that can help you with that.
>
> Any pointers to such products would be well-appreciated. I'm definitely
> willing to pay for a commercial product if it would solve this problem.

TeamCity has a delayed commit feature for their build server which could
be useful. Does Hudson have this?

Crucible is a code reviewing tool; SmartBear Software have a couple of
code review tools too.

Other VCS tools have better support for not letting changes hit 'trunk'
until they have been checked. AccuRev is a good example of a commercial
tool, and the DVCSes like Mercurial and Bazaar have some features for
this too.

Tom

RE: Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by "Gleason, Todd" <tg...@impac.com>.
This thread went on for awhile but I didn't see any suggestions for code
review-related products.  Here are two:

Free:  CodeStriker (http://codestriker.sourceforge.net/)
Commercial:  Crucible (http://www.atlassian.com/software/crucible/)

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com>.
[...]

 From an architectural standpoint, though, it was a much better fit for
what I've described above.

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
<la...@vkarlsen.no> wrote:
> While I sympathize with the problem I do believe that the problem is not
> something that a source control system should do much to solve.

I am a proponent of getting something done improving the obliterate
feature urgently - however I really do have to concur here that this
isn't a great use of obliterate.

Backing out the changes with a reverse merge is easy and, in terms of
UI simplicity, unlikely to be improved in obliterate.

The cost to the system in terms of space is trivial (only the size of
the change, ignoring skip-deltas).  It would seem that, at best, a
case could be made for avoiding a noisy revision history but even then
I'm hard pushed to see this as a good use.

Trying to use obliterate in this fashion outright demands that either
all users re-check out or that the system do a considerable amount of
complex but low-value work to communicate how history has changed to
clients that need to be informed (such as mirrors or clients with
working copies at the removed revision).

> However, at some you're going to have to trust your developers, and if you
> can't do that, I'm sorry to say this, but there isn't much a source control
> system will do to help that problem.

Developers make mistakes, sure, that's expected - it happens - seeing
that it's happened in revision history isn't going to hurt anyone.
Obliterate needs to deal with these specific cases when there is no
way to continue with the repo in its current state - surely this isn't
one of those cases when a reverse merge gets you to where you need to
be with minimal cost.

--
Talden

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen <la...@vkarlsen.no>.
While I sympathize with the problem I do believe that the problem is not
something that a source control system should do much to solve.

There are systems, however, that has features like running automated
integration and unit tests before the changes are commited to the trunk, and
some systems integrate code reviews into the process to that no un-reviewed
code will ever slip into the repository.

However, at some you're going to have to trust your developers, and if you
can't do that, I'm sorry to say this, but there isn't much a source control
system will do to help that problem.

If your group need more control over what changes gets into the system, I

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Re: How to reject svn changes?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> writes:
> Every once in a while (more often than I care to admin) one of our
> developers does something really boneheaded. They check in changes
> that shouldn't be there.
>
> I'm finding it an enormous pain to back out the changes, particularly
> if then extend across multiple files.
>
> How can I do a rejection of changes in a particular checkin? Sometimes
> I want to reject changes to a particular file, and sometimes I want to
> reject everything in a particular revision. I really want the garbage
> out of the repository permanently.

You've asked a very common question, and there's not (yet) a good answer
for it, but see this issue for workarounds and for discussion of future
(post-1.5 release) improvement:

   http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=516

Best,
-Karl