Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jigneshjsoni <ji...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/08 04:00:30 UTC

$CATALINA_HOME

I am trying to do following.

(3) Start Up Tomcat

(3.1) Tomcat can be started by executing the following commands:

$CATALINA_HOME\bin\startup.bat (Windows)

When I run above command on cmd prompt , I get message path can not be
found. How to find path for $CATALINA_HOME from cmd prompt ?

IS running this command on cmd prompt or starting tomcat service from
"services" is same or different ?

thanks

RE: $CATALINA_HOME

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: jigneshjsoni [mailto:jigneshjsoni@gmail.com]
> Subject: $CATALINA_HOME
>
> When I run above command on cmd prompt , I get message path can not be
> found. How to find path for $CATALINA_HOME from cmd prompt ?

Read *all* of RUNNING.txt, including this from 2.2:

"For the purposes of the remainder of this document, the symbolic name "$CATALINA_HOME" is used to refer to the full pathname of the release directory."

When running Tomcat from the scripts, you typically do so from a command prompt window where your current directory is $CATALINA_HOME\bin, so all you need to enter is startup.

> IS running this command on cmd prompt or starting tomcat service from
> "services" is same or different ?

Different.  Be aware that if you used the .exe download (one of the many things you haven't bothered to mention), there are no scripts, and Tomcat must be run as a service.  If you use the .zip download, you can run Tomcat either as a service or via the scripts.

 - Chuck