Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org> on 2004/07/31 21:55:36 UTC

How I updated the outdated version of forrest in lenya

Hello group,

I updated the lenya website from an old forrest version to newest svn
head a while ago. Here is how I did it.

I decided that I needed a running base to manage the task! I used
/forrest seed/ to create a starting basis.

I saw my changes in the new project insteandly by using /forrest run/ in
the new seed.

Then I copied some files of the lenya documentation into the new seed
and declared them in the site.xml. Still everything was working fine.

I decided to copy *all* important files:
* forrest.properties
* site.xml
* tab.xml
* skinconf.xml
* everything in the xdocs (that was related to the docu)
from the /old/ lenya project to my fresh seed.

Then I got a heaps of errors that I fixed one by one.
hint (*nix): forrest > log.txt | tail -f log.txt
The error were related to mismatched ressources. I fixed them by
creating the missing files in the expect location or commenting out the
offending code parts (e.g. in site.xml).

With this procedure I got finally a build successful.

I do not want to say that is a nice way but like I said: I got a build
successful. ...and that is what counts on the end of the day, isn't it ;-) ?

HTH
King regards