Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> on 2014/02/06 21:32:06 UTC

Comment integration questions

Hi guys,

while catching up the last years of doc cleanup (as you may have seen on the
commit lists ;-)

The comment notice "This is not a Q&A section. ..." - should it be
translatable? And should we include a sentence then, that comments in
English are preferred? (that's what I read off the wiki page).

A <noscript> block might be helful, too.
(personally I prefer putting the whole notice into a document.write block as
well)

Also, mod/{directives,quickreference}.html, /license.html and
probably /sitemap.html should have their comment section removed (the
latter already got comments, though). Thoughts?

Is there a comment notification list?

Oh, I'm just seeing why the comments don't work in my firefox. It's
configured to not send a Referer header. Seriously? Isn't there a better
way? And then raising a 404? D'oh! (Is there a discussion list about
comments.a.o somewhere?)

nd
--
If God intended people to be naked, they would be born that way.
  -- Oscar Wilde

Re: Comment integration questions

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
On Thursday 06 February 2014 21:44:54 Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 02/06/2014 09:32 PM, André Malo wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > while catching up the last years of doc cleanup (as you may have seen on
> > the commit lists ;-)
> >
> > The comment notice "This is not a Q&A section. ..." - should it be
> > translatable? And should we include a sentence then, that comments in
> > English are preferred? (that's what I read off the wiki page).
> >
> > A <noscript> block might be helful, too.
> > (personally I prefer putting the whole notice into a document.write block
> > as well)
> >
> > Also, mod/{directives,quickreference}.html, /license.html and
> > probably /sitemap.html should have their comment section removed (the
> > latter already got comments, though). Thoughts?
> >
> > Is there a comment notification list?
>
> No, but you can log onto the comments control panel at
> comments.apache.org and subscribe to new comments for httpd.
>
> > Oh, I'm just seeing why the comments don't work in my firefox. It's
> > configured to not send a Referer header. Seriously? Isn't there a better
> > way? And then raising a 404? D'oh!
>
> This is a CSRF issue. We do not allow use of the system outside the list
> of accepted domains, and the Referer header is the only way to check for
> this - any clever ideas on how to otherwise solve it is most welcome.
>
> (Is there a discussion list about
>
> > comments.a.o somewhere?)
>
> infrastructure-dev@apache.org would probably be the place for this.

Thanks, Daniel. I'll come over there for comment system questions.

Any thoughts about the docs specific issues?

nd

Re: Comment integration questions

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.
On 02/06/2014 09:32 PM, André Malo wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> while catching up the last years of doc cleanup (as you may have seen on the
> commit lists ;-)
>
> The comment notice "This is not a Q&A section. ..." - should it be
> translatable? And should we include a sentence then, that comments in
> English are preferred? (that's what I read off the wiki page).
>
> A <noscript> block might be helful, too.
> (personally I prefer putting the whole notice into a document.write block as
> well)
>
> Also, mod/{directives,quickreference}.html, /license.html and
> probably /sitemap.html should have their comment section removed (the
> latter already got comments, though). Thoughts?
>
> Is there a comment notification list?

No, but you can log onto the comments control panel at
comments.apache.org and subscribe to new comments for httpd.

> Oh, I'm just seeing why the comments don't work in my firefox. It's
> configured to not send a Referer header. Seriously? Isn't there a better
> way? And then raising a 404? D'oh!

This is a CSRF issue. We do not allow use of the system outside the list
of accepted domains, and the Referer header is the only way to check for
this - any clever ideas on how to otherwise solve it is most welcome.

(Is there a discussion list about
> comments.a.o somewhere?)

infrastructure-dev@apache.org would probably be the place for this.

> nd