Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Carlos Alberto Costa Beppler <be...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/28 21:10:36 UTC

Multiple access filess when using SVNParentPath

+1 for a new feature where I can specify that the AuthzSVNAccessFile
is a relative path to the repository repository location (using the
conf directory as base by example).

This can be very useful when using SVNParentPath and delegating the
administration of the access control.

To not break the compability with existing configuration this could be
enabled by adding a new command to mod_authz_svn like
"AuthzSVNRelativePath" or something like this.

Example:

Today I have:
<Location /XSU/CadastroClientes>
  DAV svn
  SVNPath "C:/MPS/project/SVN/repos/XSU/CadastroClientes"
  SVNIndexXSLT "/svnindex.xsl"
  SVNAutoversioning On
  AuthzSVNAccessFile "C:/MPS/project/SVN/repos/XSU/Projetos/conf/access.conf"
</Location>

<Location /XSU/Projetos>
  DAV svn
  SVNPath "C:/MPS/project/SVN/repos/XSU/Projetos"
  SVNIndexXSLT "/svnindex.xsl"
  SVNAutoversioning On
  AuthzSVNAccessFile "C:/MPS/project/SVN/repos/XSU/Projetos/conf/access.conf"
</Location>

<Location /XSU/SALT>
  DAV svn
  SVNPath "C:/MPS/project/SVN/repos/XSU/SALT"
  SVNIndexXSLT "/svnindex.xsl"
  SVNAutoversioning On
  AuthzSVNAccessFile "C:/MPS/project/SVN/repos/XSU/SALT/conf/access.conf"
</Location>

This could be like this:

<Location /XSU>
  DAV svn
  SVNParentPath "C:/MPS/project/SVN/repos/XSU"
  SVNIndexXSLT "/svnindex.xsl"
  SVNAutoversioning On
  AuthzSVNRelativePath On
  AuthzSVNAccessFile "access.conf"
</Location>

Re: Multiple access filess when using SVNParentPath

Posted by Carlos Alberto Costa Beppler <be...@gmail.com>.
I like this idea, but how to solve the name clash in groups
definition. Specially if there are different people editing the
"subfiles"

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
Max Bowsher wrote:

> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>
>>Actually, if there's enough inertia to add a new feature here, I'd
>>much rather see the authz-policy file gain the ability to "#include"
>>sub-files, much like the way httpd.conf is able to do.  (Somebody here
>>already suggested that.)
>>
>>In addition to solving the original poster's problem, it will add
>>general flexibility.
>

> It doesn't solve the OP's problem, unless you have a complicated include
> system which doesn't just include, but also allows you to restrict
> included files to affect only a specific repository.
>
> In view of this, I don't really see what benefit an include capability
> gives.

I was the one that initially brought up the include option - mainly as a
way to split the file without having to do as much of a change.  I did not
intend the include mechanism to enforce anything - just to enable the
external enforcement of "file a for repository a"

I would much rather have the system natively understand this for various
reasons...

> Note that the servers re-load and re-parse the config file for every
> connection - in the case of HTTP, this is a lot, and having to do this
> for multiple files could get quite unpleasant.

This is where having the auth file per repository would help - only the
auth file for the path/repository being requested would need to be read
in any one request.  This could be a significant savings (albeit reasonable
in-core caching of the last read with timestamp checks would provide much
of the same benefit)

> Then, there is the difficultly of defining how to merge conflicting
> statements between multiple files.
>
> At the moment, I don't understand any use-cases for include.

Like I said, the rules would be to treat it just as a single file (other
than being able to have multiple groups sections - maybe)

Anyway, I would much rather have the per-repository authentication file.
I believe it would be able to provide the biggest benefits.

--
Michael Sinz                     Technology and Engineering Director/Consultant
"Starting Startups"                                mailto:michael.sinz@sinz.org

Re: Multiple access filess when using SVNParentPath

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Re: Multiple access filess when using SVNParentPath

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
Ximon Eighteen wrote:
> Michael Sinz wrote:
>
>>On 12/1/05, Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Michael Sinz wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>>
>>>This has the disadvantage that the directive meaning is changed by
>>>another, potentially appearing many lines distant.
>>>
>>>I'd suggest instead:
>>>
>>>AuthzSVNAccessFileInRepository my-authz-file
>
> I misread the suggestion and took it to mean that the file to reference
> is stored *in* a subversion repository. The follow up post saying "where
> would that live" made me realise I misunderstood, but also the idea of
> the control file living in the repository struck me as kinda cool, e.g.
> obey the head revision of this path, where path can be a repository URL
> (though a remote URL would be daft).
>
> Then another thought crossed my tired brain: PostgreSQL has database
> tables representing its' state and I'm sure there's an example I can't
> quite bring to mind of a system storing its' settings in itself... made
> me think of a repository server having a special repository which is
> used to store its config with the benefit of versioning changes to the
> config.

I actually do this in the Insurrection tools.  All of the authentication
and access control files are stored in a authentication repository.  Every
password change, access rights change, etc. are all tracked in the repository
with log messages that say who did what (and when, from the rev date)

This basically provides an audit trail of the operations and also allows
me to manually edit the files from a secure SVN checkout/commit.  (I have
a post-commit hook script that checks out the new commit into the server's
authentication directory.)

> Call me crazy, just thought it was interesting. Not thought through,
> probably lots of holes in the idea. Apologies for hijacking the thread,
> please start a new thread if there are replies to this.

I would not put the auth file into the repository it is controlling.  But
having the files in a repository is a very good idea and one that I already
use external scripts to enforce.  I find it works well.  Now the only reason
to log into the server is to build and install newer versions of Subversion.
Everything else happens via the repository.  (And even the build directory
and source are a build repository)

Posted by Ximon Eighteen <xi...@int.greenpeace.org>.

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
On 12/1/05, Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:
> Michael Sinz wrote:
[...]
> > That way it would be the "authz" file in each repository.
> >
> > The option would be something like:
> >
> >     AuthzSVNPerRepository On
>
> This has the disadvantage that the directive meaning is changed by
> another, potentially appearing many lines distant.
>
> I'd suggest instead:
>
> AuthzSVNAccessFileInRepository my-authz-file

I'm fine with that - where would the file live?  (I would suggest the
conf directory since there is already authentication information in
that directory for other access methods.)

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Re: Multiple access filess when using SVNParentPath

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
On 12/1/05, Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:
> > I too would like to add a measure of support/request for such a feature.
> > It would make supporting large numbers of repositories with various
> > administrative controls much more scalable.
>
> I think it's a reasonable request.
>
> However, it cannot be done simply with a relative path in the
> AuthzSVNAccessFile directive, because this already has a meaning: it
> looks for the authzfile relative to Apache's ServerRoot - which is kind
> of expected behaviour, since other directives such as Include or
> AuthUserFile so the same thing.

That is understandable.  I would think it would need to be a
different option and that then this file would be part of the
repository tree (beside the hooks directory or in the conf
directory?)

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Re: Multiple access filess when using SVNParentPath

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
Carlos Alberto Costa Beppler wrote:
> I really don´t know in any other places, but here it would be very
> cool if I could separate the access files. Every other configuration
> is the same for all repositories.

I too would like to add a measure of support/request for such a feature.
It would make supporting large numbers of repositories with various
administrative controls much more scalable.

It may also help with other performance issues for when the access file
starts getting large (200+ developers in some projects, about 30 different
projects, each with release manager for write access to release tags,
developers with write access to trunk and branches or only to specific
branches, etc.  The size of the file has almost gotten out of control.

[...]

> But if it is difficult to implement, I will try another approach to
> delegate the access control.

I have built various administrative tools for various clients.  Plus I
have the tool that is part of Insurrection (still does not do fine-grained
path access control...)  Having a file per repository could simplify many
of the issues I have had in the various solutions - but for now I have
solutions that work so if this is too complex/hard to provide, I can live
without for now.

PS - if not supporting this concept directly within mod_auth_svn, how
about adding an include directive to the authentication file.  This way
it could be "simulated" from a relatively static authentication file
that includes each of the repository files.  (Albeit I would think that
just supporting the per-repository file would be almost as easy.)

Posted by Carlos Alberto Costa Beppler <be...@gmail.com>.
I really don´t know in any other places, but here it would be very
cool if I could separate the access files. Every other configuration
is the same for all repositories.

We use mod_auth_sspi for authentication at / level on Apache ans since
today we use mod_macro to simplify the configuration of repositories.

The only difference is the access control that is very different for
every repository. It is based on the development team responsible by
the project stored on that repository. The manager of each project is
responsible to give or revoke access based on changes on his staff.

Today every change is reported to us and we are responsible to give or
revoke the access no repository.

Posted by Carlos Alberto Costa Beppler <be...@gmail.com>.
This is exactly what I want.

Using SVNPath it works very well, except I must restart the server
every time I create a new repository.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/05, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> Hm, that seems like pretty unusual use-case.  Admins are the ones who
> typically manage authz policy files, not arbitrary groups of users.
You aren't right.In my company lead developers manage authz policy
files for their repositories. Admins became crazy if they mange authz
files for 200+ developers :)

> On 11/28/05, Carlos Alberto Costa Beppler <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Because different people will have access to modify the policy and I
> > can not give them rights to modify only parts of the file.

> > > I don't understand, why do you want separate authz-policy files for
> > > separate repositories, when you can already control access to *all* of
> > > them with a single policy file?

Ivan Zhakov

Re: Multiple access filess when using SVNParentPath

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 11/29/05, Carlos Alberto Costa Beppler <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because different people will have access to modify the policy and I
> can not give them rights to modify only parts of the file.
In my company I use Apache module mod_macro and repository
configuration take one line (Use SvnRepos test-repo). Also I place
configuration for each repos in separate file to easy detaching for
admin operations.

Posted by Carlos Alberto Costa Beppler <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Carlos Alberto Costa Beppler <be...@gmail.com>.
I prefer this too. I only proposed the auxiliar configuration becaus I
don´t know if it is simple to detect a relative path on all platforms.

Posted by Alan Barrett <ap...@cequrux.com>.