Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andreas Sewe <se...@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2010/01/10 15:20:22 UTC

Fixing the order of items in "Modules" menu

Hi all,

is it possible to influence the order in which the "Modules" show up in a
generated site's menu? At the moment, I am including them like this in my
site descriptor:

  <menu ref="modules"/>

As far as I can tell, the order of items in the menu is dependent on the
order in which Maven builds the modules -- and this does not always put the
most important module at the top of the list. In fact, the top of the list
is in all likelihood occupied by various low-level infrastructure modules;
the high-level, user-visible modules typically come much later. :-(

This also means that the order of menu items depends on the module's
dependencies; thus, this can result in unforeseen changes to the *site*
when one module's *build* changes. Why doesn't Maven simply use the order
of the <module> elements? That would be simple and predictable. (If nobody
has a solution/workaround, I will file a JIRA for this.)

Best wishes,

Andreas Sewe