Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by nmq <nm...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/06 14:28:58 UTC

Measuring page load / rendering time

Hi everyone

I have been told that JMeter does not measure page load or rendering time.
Does anyone know of a roundabout way of making approximations using JMeter,
which would be fairly close to actual times.

Or if anyone knows of a better tool that can be used to achieve this?

The AUT is a secured web portal giving access to a limited number of users
and is document intensive. I need to measure the page load time of the
Documents page which displays the first 100 documents and as the user
scrolls down, renders the next 100 and so forth.

Any tips or help for load/performance testing would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

Re: Measuring page load / rendering time

Posted by "Robin D. Wilson" <rw...@gmail.com>.
Look at iMacros from here:

    http://www.iopus.com/imacros/

They allow you to script actual browser sessions (in a variety of different browsers).

Keep in mind, JMeter serves as the tool for exercising the backed (server) part of the web connection. You use it to generate requests to the servers, so you can validate that your servers can handle the load of thousands (or even millions) of browsers making requests. Whereas iMacros is designed to test the browser side of the system, letting you see what the browser sees, and how quickly it performs. When you test the browser side, you really don't need to generate a heavy load, because each browser will be running on _one_ computer - usually. So if your JMeter shows that your server can handle the load you want, then the iMacros can just check what that looks like on a single browser instance (of course, you'll want to test all the supported browsers for your system).

--
Robin D. Wilson
VOICE: 512-777-1861

On Jun 6, 2013, at 8:23 AM, Eric Chaves <er...@craftti.com.br> wrote:

Hi Sam,

The metrics you are looking for are most influenced by client-side
implementations and can even change from browser to browser, since it
relies on he browser engine (css engine and javascript engine) and how the
page was coded (CSS, animations, javascripts etc...).

A server under certain load may degrade page load time but a healthy server
is no guarantee that the load page time is good. That's why tools like
JMeter are not capable to measure those metrics per se. But you still
should test your server under stress if you are looking for a good user
experience.

There are several tools I can recommend to you, and a google search would
certainly bring others:

During development:
- you can rely on Chrome Developer Tools or Safari Web Developer tools. The
Timeline panel will show you those metrics.
- You can also use Yahoo's YSlow and Google's Page Speed. Both are free and
will rank your website according to several common performance tips,
indicating where you are failing and what could be done to improve.

In pre-launch or post-launch you can use tools like:

http://www.webpagetest.org/
http://loads.in/
http://gtmetrix.com/
http://pageload.monitis.com/

And in other to check how your browser is handled by multiple browser you
can go with http://browsershots.org/.

Hope those help you. Best regards,

Eric

Posted by Eric Chaves <er...@craftti.com.br>.
Hi Sam,

Posted by nmq <nm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bo

I'll try my best. Not making any promises though.

Regards
Sam

Posted by nmq <nm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shmuel Krakower <sh...@gmail.com>.