Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Aaron Robinson <aa...@hotmail.com> on 2003/06/14 12:20:43 UTC

Generating Java constants class from message resources

The most common approach I've seen to using error messages in code is set up
a bunch of constants somewhere and then use these in the code...

public class blah
{
    private static int ERROR_CREATING_CLIENT = 1234;

    public void doThis()
    {
        raiseError(ERROR_CREATING_CLIENT)
    }
}

As Struts has an application resources file with all the error messages as
properties it would be nice if I could derive a bunch of constants from the
properties file so that I have one definition of the errors.

my idea is to write some code that will create a class that contains
constants based on the application resource file. This will allow compile
time checking of the error messages used in code.

So if the message resources file has

exception.clientexists="this client already exists"

A class would be generated that has

public class messages
{
    public static string CLIENTEXISTS = "exception.clientexists";
}

And the code would

public void doThis()
{
    raiseError(messages.CLIENTEXISTS);
}

Does anyone know of a better way of doing this? Has something like this
already been done?

Re: Generating Java constants class from message resources

Posted by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com>.
I haven't done anything like that, but it seems to me
that this is XDoclet's arena.

sandeep
--- Aaron Robinson <aa...@hotmail.com>