Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jonathan Vanasco <mo...@2xlp.com> on 2006/08/14 20:30:58 UTC

keep alive under mp -- single and multi server strategies

my dev boxes are this:
	mac osx 10.4
	mp2 ports 8080-8090 serves static and dynamic content

my prod boxes are:
	freebsd 6
	lighttpd ( probably moving to nginx , as lighty has a gigantic
memory leak under heavy proxy use) port 80 for static content and
reverse proxy / load balancing
	mp2 ports 8000 - 9000 serves dynamic content

my local box has been sluggish lately.  i think it has to do with
Keep Alive and a recent Safari update- mp2 tosses all the content in
a split second, but the connection hangs and the page doesn't render
because the images connection is complete or something, until i reach
apache's keepalive timeout

shutting that off seemed to have fixed everything.  since its a dev
box, i'm not worried.

that brings me to the keepalive on the server regarding mp2 serving
to a reverse proxy.  the only info i could find about it was Stas
asking for recommendations in 1999.

under my naive understanding, KeepAlive should be off in a multi-
server setup, as the only item in the connection request should be
the single dynamic content page (as the images and css/js files are
handled by the proxy).

or , am i way off, and the connection is good for multiple requests ,
and keepalive on would be a bonus?

Re: keep alive under mp -- single and multi server strategies

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 14:30 -0400, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> under my naive understanding, KeepAlive should be off in a multi-
> server setup, as the only item in the connection request should be
> the single dynamic content page (as the images and css/js files are
> handled by the proxy).
>
> or , am i way off, and the connection is good for multiple requests ,
> and keepalive on would be a bonus?

That is totally dependent on what you use for a proxy server.  If it
shares the open connections between processes, then it might be ok.  If
it doesn't, you have to turn it off or you'll go over MaxClients, since
your proxy would normally be configured to handle at least 10 times as
many connections as your application server.

- Perrin