Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Adrian Lewis <ad...@alsiconsulting.co.uk> on 2015/03/20 14:20:21 UTC

RE: [PROPOSAL] DHCP/DNS offload and config drive support for adv zone shared network

Can't see the wiki at the moment as it's down for maintenance but on a
slightly different but related note, would it be feasible to use DHCP relay
functionality in dnsmasq on a VR and still get the IP address assigned by an
external DHCP server registered into the ACS MS? Not quite sure if under
normal circumstances ACS picks up the IP from dnsmasq or if ACS manages the
pool and sends dnsmasq static leases. If it's picking up what dnsmasq
decides to lease out, what is this mechanism and does/would it also work for
DHCP relay?

This doesn’t solve the issue of a DHCP server on the same network however
and would still require a VR on the network with upstream connectivity to
the DHCP server.

I'm definitely definitely up for the concept of simple networks with no VR
if we can provision some of the essentials without one. Big +1

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
I guess having one of many options is not a bad thing, as long as we
dont make it defacto.

Posted by Jayapal Reddy Uradi <ja...@citrix.com>.
Hi Adrian,

For DHCP relay we need the VR with another interface which is in different network.
>From CS we need to configure the another network for this.
I think supporting VR as DHCP relay agent can be taken as separate feature.

If we want to deploy VMs with external DHCP without VR, this feature will help.

Thanks,
Jayapal

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jayapal Reddy Uradi <ja...@citrix.com>.
To start this feature we are going with only shared network.
Once it is done for shared network, it can be generalised for all the networks and
external providers can be added at this point.
The external provider does not have any thing to implement.

Thanks,
Jayapal

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <al...@gmail.com>.