Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Michael Kuß <mi...@gmx.de> on 2003/12/27 17:44:01 UTC

Best place for CPIO io streams

Hi *,

I'm writing on a CPIOInput-/OutputStream and would like to contribute it
to the jakarta commons project. Now I search for the best place where to
put these classes. Either I join a subproject or create a new one
(commons.cpio) or go to sf.net. Any suggestions?
Also can anyone please point me to a document explaining how to
contribute to jakarta? I have searched but haven't found anything.
I would appreciate any comment/tip/suggestion/help on this toppic.

Best regards,
	Michael

p.s.: The input stream is already working

Re: Best place for CPIO io streams

Posted by Michael Kuß <mi...@gmx.de>.
Thanks for your help Phil and Noel.
I will open a ticket as soon as I have the CPIO input/output stream
ready and I'm satisfied with the functionality.

Happy new Year.

Micha

Re: Best place for CPIO io streams

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Michael Kuß wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I'm writing on a CPIOInput-/OutputStream and would like to contribute it
> to the jakarta commons project. Now I search for the best place where to
> put these classes. Either I join a subproject or create a new one
> (commons.cpio) or go to sf.net. Any suggestions?
> Also can anyone please point me to a document explaining how to
> contribute to jakarta? I have searched but haven't found anything.
> I would appreciate any comment/tip/suggestion/help on this toppic.

Hi Michael,

Regarding your cpio streams, should have a look at these two projects in
the Jakarta Commons Sandbox:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/compress/
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/io/

For general info on how to contribute to Jakarta, see

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

Once you've had a chance to see what's in [compress] and [io], if you
think that your cpio streams might fit into one of these, you should post
a message to this list (with [compress] or [io] starting the subject line)
giving a little more info on what you have in mind, or you can just open a
Bugzilla ticket here:

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Commons

and attach your sources.  Remember to add the Apache license, which you
can grab here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/jakarta-commons/LICENSE

Phil

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Michael Ku? wrote:
> I'm writing on a CPIOInput-/OutputStream and would like to contribute it
> to the jakarta commons project. Now I search for the best place where to
> put these classes.

Off-hand, it seems to me that commons.io.cpio would be a good place.

> can anyone please point me to a document explaining how to
> contribute to jakarta?

You could start by submitting the code, as an attachment, with the Apache
Software License in place.

	--- Noel