Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Casale <mc...@knoa.com> on 2006/11/07 23:11:19 UTC

SSL not working on Tomcat

Howdy all,

I'm struggling through setting up Tomcat with SSL on a Windows 2003
server, and even when I get the server running, with no errors in the
logs when restarting the tomcat service, all I get is a "Page Not Found"
error when I point to the ssl port on the server. Pointing to the
default connector on port 8080 works fine.

Here's a little background:

1.	Using keytool, I created a certificate request, sent it off to
Geotrust, and purchased a cert to import. It was emailed to me.
2.	Following the recommendations of geotrust
(http://www.geocerts.com/support/install/install_tomcat.php ) , I
downloaded their root cert, imported it, converted their cert to DER
format (on a separate Linux box), and imported it into the keystore.
3.	I restarted the Tomcat service with no errors, see the connector
started on port 8443:

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:35 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init

INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:35 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init

INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8443

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:35 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load

INFO: Initialization processed in 812 ms

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:35 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start

INFO: Starting service Catalina

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:35 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.12

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:35 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start

INFO: XML validation disabled

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:36 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start

INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:36 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start

INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8443

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:37 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init

INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:37 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start

INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/31  config=null

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:37 PM org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader load

INFO: Find registry server-registry.xml at classpath resource

Nov 7, 2006 4:55:37 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start

INFO: Server startup in 1203 ms

Now, opening any page on the server at http://servername:8080
<http://servername:8080/>  works fine, but https://servername:8443
<https://servername:8443/>  doesn't work. All ports are opened through
the firewall, etc. Same for https://localhost:8443
<https://localhost:8443/> .

Here is the server.xml file entry for the connector:

<Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector"

  enableLookups="true" disableUploadTimeout="true"

  acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"

  sslProtocol="TLS"

  keystoreFile="c:\files\tomcat"

  keystorePass="THEPASS"/>

According to the Tomcat SSL documentation, I need to have the root cert
and the purchased cert in the keystore file, and I need to use the
keyAlias to tell Tomcat which one to use. But whenever I add in the
keyAlias entry it gives me the "Alias name tomcat does not identify a
key entry" error in the logs.

If I could find out how to enable better logging I may be able to
troubleshoot this further.

Thanks for any help!

Michael Casale

Systems Administrator / IT Manager

Knoa Software

mcasale@knoa.com <ma...@knoa.com>

Ph.  (212) 807-9608 ext. 6000

Fax  (212) 675-6121

Re: SSL not working on Tomcat

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Michael comments prefixed with Re>

Re: SSL not working on Tomcat

Posted by Dhiraj Ramakrishnan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

 According to you, one of the steps that you did was ,

  "    I downloaded their root cert, imported it, converted their cert to
DER
format (on a separate Linux box), and imported it into the keystore. "

You seem to be running your application on a windows box.
Can that be the reason why your  key is not working properly ?

Thanks

Dhiraj Ramakrishnan

RE: SSL not working on Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Michael Casale [mailto:mcasale@knoa.com]
> Subject: SSL not working on Tomcat
>
> I'm struggling through setting up Tomcat with SSL on a Windows 2003
> server, and even when I get the server running, with no errors in the
> logs when restarting the tomcat service, all I get is a "Page
> Not Found" error when I point to the ssl port on the server.

Depending on how you installed Tomcat, you may have also gotten the
native connector, aka APR.  Its SSL configuration is different from the
traditional Tomcat connector.  Look here for details:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/apr.html

Regardless, you probably want to move up to a more recent level.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: SSL not working on Tomcat

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Did you try this with Firefox?  IE has some problems
with no-cache in the header or as a pragma.  Later
versions of Tomcat 5.5 set this.

There is a mailing list thread concerning this:

along with some solutions.

Hope this helps.

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .