Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/13 06:16:56 UTC

unprintable characters in Windows build logs

...anyone else seeing the question marks at the end of our Windows build
logs when invoking the clean target? It looks purely cosmetic but if
someone has the time it would be nice to clean them up :)

Here's what I'm seeing (the question mark is the first character on the
line line below the one that ends in '8s Optimized Static|Win32'.

------ Clean started: Project: .stdcxx_utils, Configuration: 8s
Optimized Static Win32 ------

Deleting intermediate files and output files for project
'.stdcxx_utils', configuration '8s Optimized Static|Win32'.
�

------ Clean started: Project: .stdcxx_testlocales, Configuration: 8s
Optimized Static Win32 ------

Deleting intermediate files and output files for project
'.stdcxx_testlocales', configuration '8s Optimized Static|Win32'.
�

Martin

Re: unprintable characters in Windows build logs

Posted by Andrew Black <ab...@roguewave.com>.
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Farid Zaripov wrote:
>>
>>   I'm afraid the only way to get rid of them is postprocess output
>> using some script.
>
> I see. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble unless we already do
> some other preprocessing on these or other files. What do you
> think?
>
>> That characters is coming during cleanup step. Windows build scripts
>> doesn't contain
>> such step. I suppose that night build system invokes cleanup step
>> after invoking the
>> build_msvc-x.x.bat batch file. This batch file invokes build.wsf
>> script and then makelog.wsf
>> script. I can add "/clean" switсh to the build.wsf script and add
>> invoking "build.wsf /clean"
>> аfter invoking makelog.wsf within build_msvc-x.x.bat batch file.

I don't think adding this switch to the generated build_foo.bat script
would help me much, as I run my own script on the result logs to extract
the information I want from them, and I copy several files to alternate
locations prior to calling devenv with the /clean switch.

> I suppose the nightly build script that invokes the Windows
> infrastructure could do this type of postprocessing for us
> since it already does do some processing (I think it does).
> Andrew, what are your thoughts?

At this time, the log file on windows is essentially a redirection of
the console output to a file.  It would be possible to post-process this
output similar to how we do so on unix, but we don't have anything doing
such processing on windows at this time.

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

  Because of cleanup step performed by night build system, I think that
postprocessing should be added to the night build system.

Farid.

Re: unprintable characters in Windows build logs

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@epam.com>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Hi Farid,

The question mark symbol that shows up in the browser is U+FFFD,
the Unicode Replacement Character. The actual character in the
log is the NUL ('\0'). I searched the Windows scripts for where
we might be inserting NULs but couldn't find anything. Do you
happen to have any idea where it might be coming from? Could
the IDE be inserting it?

Thanks
Martin