Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Guo Leitao <le...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/01 10:07:50 UTC

Re: Unofficial HBase Blog

Hi J-D,

Thanks for your blog!

We have an application running on Sybase, and now, we want to migrate this
application onto HBase. I'd like to know whether there is a plan for HBase
to develop a stardard(subset) ODBC/JDBC API?

Cheers!

Leitao Guo from ChinaMobile

RE: Unofficial HBase Blog

Posted by Jim Kellerman <ji...@powerset.com>.
The closest that HBase will come to implementing joins, etc., will be a connector to PIG which will then be able to use HBase as a source and a sink.

---
Jim Kellerman, Senior Software Development Engineer
Powerset (Live Search, Microsoft Corporation)

RE: Unofficial HBase Blog

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>.
Leitao,

That type of functionality can and is being used with HBase, but not at all
as a fully integrated part of HBase.  Joins and sorts are not part of
BigTable or HBase "out of the box" because that type of functionality is not
what the column-oriented data model is about.

There was a discussion on this list last week that went into detail about
the differences of HBase and relational databases.  Reading those posts
might give some clarity as to why this is.

Of course this functionality is what many want/need, so there are some
solutions today (Lucene indexing, etc) with more likely down the road as the
number of contributors and users grow.

The solution for many is to build an logic layer on top of HBase that can
perform these joins/sorts/etc, often combined with some type of cache to
compensate for HBase's relatively poor random-read performance.

Jonathan Gray

Re: Unofficial HBase Blog

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@yahoo.com>.
Guo,

> From: Guo Leitao <le...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Unofficial HBase Blog
> To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
> Date: Monday, September 1, 2008, 6:37 PM
[...]
> Actually, we are now trying to implement some SQL function
> on Bigtable (HBase or Hypertable implementation, not deceide
> which one is suitable for us), such as JOIN/GROUP/SORT/COUNT.

You may wish to look at JAQL (www.jaql.org) -- It implements
the functions you list on top of HBase among other options.
May I humbly suggest that rather than reimplement these
functions again perhaps you may consider contacting the JAQL
folks at IBM and inquiring if they can use your assistance.

There is also HIVE, from Facebook, contributed to Hadoop. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3601 . From the
issue: "HIVE is a data Warehouse built on top of Hadoop that
enables structuring Hadoop files as tables and partitions and
allows users to query this data through a SQL like language
using a command line interface."

   - Andy

Re: Unofficial HBase Blog

Posted by Guo Leitao <le...@gmail.com>.