Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by wouterve <wo...@avr.be> on 2018/08/27 07:32:03 UTC

Using HTTPS with apache leads to 500:internal error

Hi,
I'm trying to implement https with my guacamole-server but thus far I only
get a blank page.
In the developer tools I got serveral errors with status code 500 while
trying to load .js files.

ET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/app.css [HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error
291ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/relocateParameters.js [HTTP/1.1 500
Internal Error 6417ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/jquery/2.1.3/dist/jquery.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 1927ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/lodash/2.4.1/dist/lodash.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 3516ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/angular/1.3.16/angular.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 1825ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/angular-cookies/1.3.16/angular-cookies.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 3385ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/angular-route/1.3.16/angular-route.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 3296ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/angular-touch/1.3.16/angular-touch.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 1728ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/messageformat/1.0.2/messageformat.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 4574ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/angular-translate/2.8.0/angular-translate.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 1818ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/angular-translate-interpolation-messageformat/2.8.0/angular-translate-interpolation-messageformat.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 3356ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/angular-translate-loader-static-files/2.8.0/angular-translate-loader-static-files.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 3793ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/blob-polyfill/1.0.20150320/Blob.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 5409ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/filesaver/1.3.3/FileSaver.min.js
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Error 3645ms]
GET
https://www.example.com/guacamole/webjars/angular-module-shim/0.0.4/angular-module-shim.js

The response of each is empty.

I've modified my <virtualhost *:443>  to include a proxy for the websocket
tunnel:

<Location /guacamole/>
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    ProxyPass http://localhost:8080/guacamole/ flushpackets=on
    ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:8080/guacamole/
</Location>

<Location /guacamole/websocket-tunnel>
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    ProxyPass ws://localhost:8080/guacamole/websocket-tunnel
    ProxyPassReverse ws://localhost:8080/guacamole/websocket-tunnel
</Location>

as indicated on
https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/proxying-guacamole.html
<https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/proxying-guacamole.html>

What could be the cause of my problem?

kr
wouter

Re: Using HTTPS with apache leads to 500:internal error

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 3:50 AM wouterve <wo...@avr.be> wrote:

> Thanks, It turned out it could not load the necessary resources (eg java
> scripts).
>
> I needed to add proxy for location / to tomcat server.
> My <virtualhost *:443> now looks something like this:

It depends on where you've deployed Guacamole (how you named the WAR file),
but if you've deployed Guacamole as "guacamole.war" and are using the
/guacamole/ URL, proxying the / location should *not* be required.  Also,
the error 500 would not be the result of missing a Location directive for
proxying - if that were the cause you'd see Error 404 for being unable to
locate the required resource.  Something else is/was wrong, and I doubt it
has anything to do with having the Location / block in your config.

> > <Location />
> >     Order allow,deny
> >     Allow from all
> >     ProxyPass http://localhost:8080/ flushpackets=on
> >     ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:8080/
> > </location>
> >
> > <Location /guacamole/>
> >     Order allow,deny
> >     Allow from all
> >     ProxyPass http://localhost:8080/guacamole/ flushpackets=on
> >     ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:8080/guacamole/
> > </Location>
> >
> > <Location /guacamole/websocket-tunnel>
> >     Order allow,deny
> >     Allow from all
> >     ProxyPass ws://localhost:8080/guacamole/websocket-tunnel
> >     ProxyPassReverse ws://localhost:8080/guacamole/websocket-tunnel
> > </Location>
> >
> > </VirtualHost>
>
> Not sure whether the option 'flushpackets = on' is necessary but in this
> configuration it is working so guess I'll leave it that way.

Yes, it is, particularly for the tunnel portion.  This is explained in the
manual:

http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/proxying-guacamole.html

-Nick

Re: Using HTTPS with apache leads to 500:internal error

Posted by wouterve <wo...@avr.be>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.org>.
On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:32 AM, wouterve <wo...@avr.be> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to implement https with my guacamole-server but thus far I only
> get a blank page.
> In the developer tools I got serveral errors with status code 500 while
> trying to load .js files.

If you are receiving HTTP 500 errors (or unexpected errors of any kind,
really), your first step should be to check the logs of the components
involved. As you are using a reverse proxy, that error could be coming from
your reverse proxy, from Tomcat, or from the Guacamole web application
itself.

Check your Apache logs to eliminate that as a possibility. If everything is
OK with Apache, then check your Tomcat logs for errors from Tomcat or
Guacamole.

- Mike