Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mohan Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/05 12:01:16 UTC

Struts 2 / Tiles 2 / Spring Security

Hi,
      Is Tiles still the most common approach to layout pages especially
when you have a combination of Struts 2 / Tiles 2 / Spring Security ? What
is the recommendation of the forum ?

Thanks,
Mohan

Re: Struts 2 / Tiles 2 / Spring Security

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/6 Mohan Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>:
> The other concern I have is the mention of experimental features in Struts
> 2( Tiles Plugin ? ). We cannot use those as our app. is a financial app. on
> the internet.

Why not? You can simply grab it and modify it (following the Apache
License), or help the community and posting patches/experiences.

Antonio

Re: Struts 2 / Tiles 2 / Spring Security

Posted by Mohan Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Actually I included Spring security because I remember having seen some mails
about Tiles and Spring security combination( Something to do with
includes/forwards ).

We don't have experience with Sitemesh. Out pages are not very complex now
but in the future they may be. We require customized themes for different
clients(e.g) Like that provided by WebSphere Portal. We are not building an
entire theme framework right now but we need the flexibility of Tiles.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/5 Mohan Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>:

>      Is Tiles still the most common approach to layout pages especially
> when you have a combination of Struts 2 / Tiles 2 / Spring Security ? What
> is the recommendation of the forum ?

I think that your question was not "well-formed" :-D
In fact you have to ask yourself: why do I need Struts 2/Tiles
2/Spring Security?
In particular, since I know the Tiles 2 part better, why did you
choose Tiles ? Have you got complicated pages, made of reusable
subpages? In this case it is a right choice.
If you have a fixed scheme of a page, in which only the central part
of the page changes, then probably you need SiteMesh, or use
SiteMesh+Tiles 2 together.

Ciao
Antonio