Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ben Lidgey <be...@inuknetworks.com> on 2008/02/15 11:46:08 UTC

Surefire 2.4.1 classpath order

Hi

We are running tests using Surefire 2.4.1 and Maven 2.0.8. The Junit test classes are expecting to load a properties file from src/test/resources with the same name as a properties file in src/main/resources to load test data etc. However the src/main/resources properties file is being loaded.

Looking at the debug output shows:

[DEBUG] Test Classpath :
[DEBUG]   C:\Documents and Settings\benl\.m2\repository\junit\junit\4.2\junit-4.2.jar

[more jars]

[DEBUG]   c:\Development\Projects\MyProject\target\classes
[DEBUG]   c:\Development\Projects\MyProject\target\test-classes

Which would explain it. Is there anyway to get the test-classes before classes in the classpath order? Setting childDelegation to true doesn't.

Ben Lidgey
Senior Software Engineer
e: ben.lidgey@inuknetworks.com

Inuk Networks Limited
Enterprise House
Navigation Park
Abercynon
CF45 4SN
t: +44 (0)844 546 0100
f: +44 (0)844 546 0200
w: www.inuknetworks.com

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that any use, dissemination, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

Re: Surefire 2.4.1 classpath order

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Ken Liu wrote:

> Do you know if that bug was introduced in 2.0.7 (or some other earlier
> release)?

I talked about two JIRA issues; their interactions are complex.

SUREFIRE-61 is listed as affecting "2.0 (2.2 plugin)"; that means it has
probably been around for a long time.  MNG-3118 is an "Improvement" and
not a "Bug"; it was filed in July of 2007, but for all I know Maven has
been behaving the old bad way since 2.0.0.

What's complex about this problem is that the two issues obfuscate each
other.  For many users, Maven was trying to use the "wrong" classpath, but
Surefire was accidentally reversing it, resulting in the "right" classpath
for some users.  Since both bugs have been fixed in the latest versions of
the software, people who get only one fix and not the other will suffer.
:-(

> My team is using 2.0.4 and we encountered a problem with the classpath
> ordering recently that caused builds to that were previously working to
> suddenly start failing.

If your project doesn't explicitly declare a version of Surefire, it will
be automatically upgraded to the latest version (currently 2.4.1).  The
developers who designed that feature are very sorry about it. ;-)

Based on what I think I know about this problem, you're probably being
auto-upgraded to 2.4.1; Surefire 2.4.1 + Maven 2.0.4 = bad classpath
ordering.

-Dan

Re: Surefire 2.4.1 classpath order

Posted by Ken Liu <ke...@gmail.com>.
Dan -

Do you know if that bug was introduced in 2.0.7 (or some other earlier
release)?  My team is using 2.0.4 and we encountered a problem with the
classpath ordering recently that caused builds to that were previously
working to suddenly start failing.

Thanks,

Ken

Posted by "M. Dahm" <ma...@akquinet.de>.
Hi,

I think I had the same problem (the wrong resource was loaded).
may solution was to add an explicit version to the SureFire-Plugin
configuration:

<version>2.4.3</version>

See
http://www.nabble.com/%22mvn-test%22-uses-wrong-resources-to18219384.html
http://www.nabble.com/%22mvn-test%22-uses-wrong-resources-to18219384.html

Cheers
   Markus

RE: Surefire 2.4.1 classpath order

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Ben Lidgey wrote:

> Made the tests pass. I've no idea why. Do you want me to raise this as a
> bug?

Yes... nice work! That sounds like a Core bug and not a Surefire bug, so
file it against "Maven 2" (MNG) in JIRA.

Thanks!

-Dan

RE: Surefire 2.4.1 classpath order

Posted by Ben Lidgey <be...@inuknetworks.com>.
I took a copy of the project POM and put it in the surefire-integration-tests directory. The tests failed. I then trawled through the project POM and then its parent POM commenting out plugins, reporting, dependencies, and other bits until the test passed.

The thing that was causing the test to fail was that in the parent POM:

<defaultGoal>package</defaultGoal>
<directory>target</directory>
<finalName>${pom.artifactId}-${pom.version}</finalName>
<sourceDirectory>${basedir}/src/main/java</sourceDirectory>
<testSourceDirectory>${basedir}/src/test/java</testSourceDirectory>
<testOutputDirectory>${basedir}/target/test-classes</testOutputDirectory>
<outputDirectory>${basedir}/target/classes</outputDirectory>

Changing just testOutputDirectory to

<testOutputDirectory>target/test-classes</testOutputDirectory>

Made the tests pass. I've no idea why. Do you want me to raise this as a bug?

Ben

Posted by Ben Lidgey <be...@inuknetworks.com>.

I get

Forking command line: cmd.exe /X /C '""c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_14\jre\bin\java" -jar c:\DOCUME~1\benl\LOCALS~1\Temp\surefirebooter53271.jar c:\DOCUME~1\benl\LOCALS~1\Temp\surefire53269tmp c:\DOCUME~1\benl\LOCALS~1\Temp\surefire53270tmp"'

The MANIFEST.MF in the jar shows:

Class-Path: file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/benl/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefirebooter/2.4.1/surefire-booter-2.4.1.jar file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/benl/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire-api/2.4.1/surefire-api-2.4.1.jar file:/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/benl/.m2/repository/junit/junit/4.2/junit-4.2.jar [snip] file:/c:/Development/Projects/Inuk/MyProject/target/classes/ file:/c:/Development/Projects/Inuk/MyProject/target/test-classes/

Main-Class: org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter

And in one of the tmp files included

classPathUrl.41=c\:\\Development\\Projects\\Inuk\\MyProject\\target\\test-classes
classPathUrl.40=c\:\\Development\\Projects\\Inuk\\MyProject\\target\\classes

Which when ordered in ascending order would put target/classes before target/test-classes

The effective-pom shows

        <plugin>
        <version>2.4.1</version>
        <configuration>
          <redirectTestOutputToFile>true</redirectTestOutputToFile>
          <childDelegation>true</childDelegation>
          <systemProperties>
            <property>
              <name>log4j.configuration</name>
              <value>log4j.xml</value>
            </property>
          </systemProperties>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

Weird.

Ben

Posted by Ben Lidgey <be...@inuknetworks.com>.

> From: Dan Fabulich [mailto:dan@fabulich.com]
> 2) Try pulling down our "classpath-order" test project here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/surefire/trunk/surefire-
> integration-tests/src/test/resources/classpath-order
> http://tinyurl.com/3csqca
>
> Run "mvn test" and confirm that you see the same thing I do
> in
> classpath-order/target/surefire-reports/TEST-it.BasicTest.xml.
>  I get test-classes first, classes second, and then a whole
> bunch of jars.  If the classpath order is incorrect, the test
> should fail.

Well, no need to panic as the classpath order test passed. Now I need to trawl through our (effective) pom for the project that was failing and see what the classpath is and if anything else is mucking about with the classpath. I'll report on any relevant findings.

Ben

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Ben Lidgey wrote:

> <property value="
> C:\Documents and Settings\benl\.m2\repository\junit\junit\4.2\junit-4.2.jar;
> [more jars]
> c:\Development\Projects\Inuk\Inuk\ResidentialFramework\BroadbandGateway\target\classes;
> c:\Development\Projects\Inuk\Inuk\ResidentialFramework\BroadbandGateway\target\test-classes;" name="surefire.test.class.path"/>
>
> With target/classes before targe/test-classes.

This is the reverse order from what it's supposed to be.  Not only are
test-classes supposed to appear before classes, but both of those are
supposed to appear before your dependency jars.

[...]

Hopefully, classpath-order will pass on your machine.  If that's the case,
then the next thing to do will be to investigate what's different between
your Inuk projects and our classpath-order test.

If classpath-order doesn't work on your machine, then I'll be surprised;
I'm not exactly certain how to investigate that.  You could try filing a
bug in that case and attaching debugging information for the
classpath-order test.  To debug, we'd want: -X logs, a copy of your
surefirebooter#####.jar, and the two surefire#####tmp files that are
passed in as arguments.

Good luck!

-Dan

RE: Surefire 2.4.1 classpath order

Posted by Ben Lidgey <be...@inuknetworks.com>.

[snip]

> I'm not 100% certain you're using the software you think
> you're using; here's some debugging/analysis tips.

Thanks for the tips. I've gone through the steps below.

> Take a look at http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3118.
> That bug was fixed in Maven 2.0.8 and called out in the
> release announcement as a backwards compatibility risk:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/announce@apache.org/msg00432.html
>
> As noted in MNG-3118, Surefire 2.3 had a bizarre classpath
> ordering bug that made the test classpath appear to be
> correct (test-classes first) under Maven 2.0.7 for some users
> with large classpaths:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-61
>
> SUREFIRE-61 was fixed in Surefire 2.3.1.  Notably, it would
> make the "Test Classpath" output in -X look correct, while
> secretly under the hood it would munge the classpath incorrectly!

Doing "mvn help:effective-pom" showed

        <plugin>
        <version>2.4.1</version>
        <configuration>
          <redirectTestOutputToFile>true</redirectTestOutputToFile>
          <childDelegation>true</childDelegation>
          <systemProperties>
            <property>
              <name>log4j.configuration</name>
              <value>log4j.xml</value>
            </property>
          </systemProperties>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

> As a result, for at least one project here at my work, we've seen:
>
> Maven 2.0.7 + Surefire 2.3: test-classes before classes Maven
> 2.0.8 + Surefire 2.3: classes before test-classes Maven 2.0.7
> + Surefire 2.3.1 or higher: classes before test-classes Maven
> 2.0.8 + Surefire 2.3.1 or higher: test-classes before classes

And "mvn --version" shows

$ mvn --version
Maven version: 2.0.8
Java version: 1.5.0_14
OS name: "windows xp" version: "5.1" arch: "x86" Family: "windows"

> Finally, note that your "real" classpath is being output in
> your target/surefire-reports/*.xml files as the
> "surefire.test.classpath"
> property; that may be useful for debugging purposes.

The surefire-reports/*.xm files showed

<property value="
C:\Documents and Settings\benl\.m2\repository\junit\junit\4.2\junit-4.2.jar;
[more jars]
c:\Development\Projects\Inuk\Inuk\ResidentialFramework\BroadbandGateway\target\classes;
c:\Development\Projects\Inuk\Inuk\ResidentialFramework\BroadbandGateway\target\test-classes;" name="surefire.test.class.path"/>

With target/classes before targe/test-classes.

So, to summarise:

Maven 2.0.8, Surefire 2.4.1, target/classes before target/test-classes

This is reinforced as the test is failing because the src/main/resources properties file does not have an entry whereas the src/test/resources properties file does, and the test fails as it cannot find that entry (therefore is looking at the one from src/main/resources).

Ben

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.

surefire-booter manifest issue (was Re: Surefire 2.4.1 classpath order)

Posted by Haroon Rafique <ha...@utoronto.ca>.
On Today at 4:50pm, ak=>amit kumar <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

ak> Hi,
ak> I have another related query regarding surefire, all of a sudden from
ak> today we started getting this error while executing JUnit tasks, the
ak> compilation of source file happens fine and the when compiling the
ak> test source files, the maven gives build failure telling that it was
ak> not able
ak>

Its not exactly related but you might be running into:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-451

Its been fixed and should be in 2.4.2 (I have no idea when it will be
released. I am not a committer).

You can read the last comment on the jira which points you to a previous
thread on the mailing list:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-451#action_122858

ak>
ak> to load main class from
ak> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surefirebooter59557.jar
ak>
ak> What is going wrong here?
ak> Could someone please help on this?
ak>
ak> Regards,
ak> Amit
ak>

Cheers,
--
Haroon Rafique
<ha...@utoronto.ca>

Re: Surefire 2.4.1 classpath order

Posted by amit kumar <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I have another related query regarding surefire, all of a sudden from today
we started getting this error while executing JUnit tasks, the compilation
of source file happens fine and the when compiling the test source files,
the maven gives build failure telling that it was not able

to load main class from
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surefirebooter59557.jar

What is going wrong here?
Could someone please help on this?