Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/14 23:28:27 UTC

The future of the wicket stuff mailinglists

I know this is a touchy feely issue and we have discussed this over
again. With the migration of Wicket to Apache, the wicket stuff
projects are more remotely administered than before. All the Wicket
mailling lists have been migrated to Apache lists, and our community
is gathering steam again at our new home.

There is one thing that still troubles me: the wicket stuff projects
and the mailing lists of the project.

Wicket stuff can't live currently without the main wicket lists. The
main lists (dev, commits, users) have a solid user base and that base
needs to be informed about new initiatives, new releases etc.

Personally I really don't mind having the discussion concerning 'stuff
projects on our Apache lists, in fact I prefer that, because it keeps
the community together, and allows us to keep monitoring the projects
for possible inclusion at Apache. Furthermore, most of the projects
are maintained by core members, so it is odd to have discussions on
separate lists, where even discussions may have consequences to the
other project.

I propose the following bold move:

    shut down the wicket-stuff lists in favor of the apache based lists.

If the 'stuff discussions get out of hand we can always divide and
conquer. For now, these projects need more involvement and publicity.
This can only happen if they are exposed to the grander wicket
community.

WDYT?

Martijn

--
Wicket joins the Apache Software Foundation as Apache Wicket
Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta2 is released

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.
crap, sent too early...

maybe some "rules" or rather guidelines about what content (dev-questions,
announcements, etc..) can be sent to which list (users, dev) should be put
on the wicket-stuff wiki...

gerolf

Re: The future of the wicket stuff mailinglists

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Heudecker <nh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Martijn Dashorst:

> The only I have left standing it the autocvs.

wicket-autocvs@lists.sourceforge.net you mean, or the one from
wicket-stuff?

I still receive wicket-stuff commits on this address, but I can't
see mailing-lists on SourceForge's Wicket project page.
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
jbq is an admin in that jira so he can change it :)

-igor

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Martijn Dashorst:

> Done. I have removed  all administrator folks from  the user and
> dev lists, so  they don't get messages anymore. I  also added an
> auto-responder  so that  folks  get a  message  telling them  to
> repost to the apache lists.
>
> In  principle  nobody  should  recieve  spam  from  these  lists
> anymore.
>
> The only I have left standing it the autocvs.

OK.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Martijn Dashorst:
> I know this is a touchy feely issue and we have discussed this over
> again. With the migration of Wicket to Apache, the wicket stuff
> projects are more remotely administered than before. All the Wicket
> mailling lists have been migrated to Apache lists, and our community
> is gathering steam again at our new home.
>
> There is one thing that still troubles me: the wicket stuff projects
> and the mailing lists of the project.
>
> Wicket stuff can't live currently without the main wicket lists. The
> main lists (dev, commits, users) have a solid user base and that base
> needs to be informed about new initiatives, new releases etc.
>
> Personally I really don't mind having the discussion concerning 'stuff
> projects on our Apache lists, in fact I prefer that, because it keeps
> the community together, and allows us to keep monitoring the projects
> for possible inclusion at Apache. Furthermore, most of the projects
> are maintained by core members, so it is odd to have discussions on
> separate lists, where even discussions may have consequences to the
> other project.
>
> I propose the following bold move:
>
>     shut down the wicket-stuff lists in favor of the apache based lists.

+1
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty