Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by mraible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> on 2007/08/10 22:35:16 UTC

Is it possible to develop a JSF application that gracefully degrades?

I'm trying to develop an application that gracefully degrades for users that
have JavaScript turned off. We're not concerned so much about supporting
non-JavaScript browsers. Rather, we want to developing using "Hijax" [1] so
a page is enhanced by JavaScript, but continues to work if JavaScript is
off.

I've done some testing with some of the MyFaces JavaScript settings, and
they don't seem to work too well. Specifically:

    <!-- Detect JavaScript and render components w/o if off -->
    <context-param>
        <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.DETECT_JAVASCRIPT</param-name>
        <param-value>true</param-value>
    </context-param>

    <!-- Don't use JavaScript by default -->
    <context-param>
        <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT</param-name>
        <param-value>false</param-value>
    </context-param>

Looking at the following thread, and reading some of the archives, it seems
that developing Hijax based applications is not recommended with JSF. Do you
agree?

http://www.nabble.com/ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT-tf1975220.html#a5419765

Thanks,

Matt

[1] http://ajaxian.com/archives/hijax-graceful-degration

Re: Is it possible to develop a JSF application that gracefully degrades?

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
The link is going to be a button - just styled differently, so yes,
params are working. Manfred did this for a project of ours, and just
needs to generalize a bit.

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Is it possible to develop a JSF application that gracefully degrades?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.